problems

clay starts driving. he goes on the main road which happens to be way less busy than i'd think.
"is anyone gonna tell me what's going on i ask?" i ask holding my knife even tighter.
"so dead people walk now." nick says frantically looking around. "just make sure to not get bit."
now that i get a good look at him i see his shirt is full of blood.
"oh my god, nick are you ok?" i ask.
"it's not my blood." nick says looking down at his shirt. "make sure to kill their brains. they don't die to anything else."

"where are we even going?" i ask.
"i- uh- don't know." clay says speeding up.
"go to the farm." i say.
"what farm?" nick asks.
"my grandma has a farm. it's in the middle of nowhere." i swallow. "my mom said it would be safe there."
"alright." clay says.
"so," nick starts as he turns to me. "do you know how to get bloodstains out?"

"oh my god. i don't think i've ever seen that many together." i say to clay wiping the sweat from my forehead.
"me neither." he says still out of breath. i look behind me and luckily the dead are out of sight. "what did you get from that store?" i ask.
"it's a gift for you. i'll show you when we come home."
"for me? how nice." i say looking out of the window.

when we arrive home i get out of the car and open the gates for clay to drive inside. i run to the farm house.
"hey girl!" i say picking up patches.
"oh my god! are you okay?" nick yelled. "you have blood on your face!"
"it's not mine." i answer putting patches down. "we ran into a herd of the dead."
"where did you go?" nick asks.
"eastfield mall." clay answered. "i had to get this."

when we arrive at the farm after about two hours of driving it's almost getting dark.
"we should see if it's safe before it gets dark." i suggest as i get out of the car.
"you brought a knife? smart." nick notices as he walks next to me. i walk into the farm house and its completely silent. i turn on the lights.
"is anyone there?" i yell. no answer. i check the first floor, nothing. upstairs, nothing. i open the door to the basement. as we walk downstairs i hear a movement.
"who is there?" clay yells. we see something moving in the dark. we wait in anticipation until we hear that noise. "meow" a cat emerged from the dark. i gasp.

"hello there." i say picking up the kitten.
"you know this cat?" nick asks.
"its my grandma's." i answer. "i don't know her name though."
"what's your opinion on 'patches'?" clay asked as he started petting her. she purrs.
"i think she likes that." nick noticed.
"patches is great." i smile.

we go upstairs and assign rooms. i get the room at the end of the hall on the left side. nick gets the one next to mine and clay gets to one opposite to mine. we go downstairs, close the curtains and i light a candle.
"what happened to alex? were you with him?" i ask nick.
"i don't know, i was the first one to go home after you guys." nick answered as clay turns on the television. we watch and listen to all the instructions that are given until the tv shuts off completely.

"fuck." clay says after trying everything to make the television turn on again. nothing worked. "i'm going to bed."
"are you tired?" nick asks me when clay is upstairs.
"not really. i took a nap before this all happened."
"we should unpack our stuff." nick suggests.
"yeah? we can help each other." i smile and stand up.

"i'm tired now." i say once we are done unpacking both of our rooms.
"me too." nick starts. "goodnight."
i hug him goodnight and get into my pajamas. i turn off the light and try to fall asleep. i have no idea what time it is.

after tossing and turning of what feels like hours i'm done. i sit up in bed and look at my door.
i sigh. i stand up and walk into clays room. as i open the door he immediately looks up.
"you can't sleep either?" he asks.
"yeah." i whisper softly.
he pats the space next to him and i lie down.
"everything will be fine, you know." he says rubbing my arm. "we will figure it out tomorrow."

i wake up feeling the sunlight from the window on my skin. i sit up and notice the smell of food. i notice clay isn't lying next to me anymore. i quickly stand up and go downstairs.
"clay?" i yell.
"down here." he yells back sounding happy.
i walk downstairs and see him making eggs.
"oh my god. they had eggs?" i ask.
"they had chickens." he smiles at me.
"where is nick?" i ask him.
"with the animals." he says. "we also found some canned foods we overlooked yesterday in the basement."
"nice." i say sitting down on the couch.

nicks walks in with about 10 eggs in his hand. "guys, i actually think if we figure out how to plant their seeds and build up the fences a bit, we might be good here."
i smile at him. "i hope so."
"breakfast is ready!" clay yells while putting down our plates.
"wow, making us breakfast already." nick says.
"that's good husband material." i joke.

when we are finished with breakfast we start talking about our plans for today.
"umm i was thinking today we could check the perimeter and make sure all the fences are intact." i start. "then we could check the seeds downstairs and maybe try to plant them."
"great plan." nick answers with his mouth still full of food.

after checking the perimeter and noticing all the fences are intact we go to the basement to look for seeds. "they already planted wheat, potatoes and tomatoes." i say. "i don't know when we're supposed to harvest them though."
"we will figure it out. no worries." clay says as he picks up a packet of seeds. "rice seeds."
"don't they have a book or something." i start. "like a farmers starter guide." it makes nick laugh.
"what are these?" nick asks as he picks up a jar.
"apple seeds?" clay guesses.
"that book would be really helpful right now."

after finding a few more different seeds we decide to make plans for tomorrow.
"we should go on a run to find supplies." i say.
"what? don't you think the cities will still be crowded?" nick asks.
"maybe.." i say. "but the longer we wait, the more supplies will be gone."
"that's true." clay says. "me and angela can go."
"oh can i?"
"yes you can." clay answers. "nick, i think it's best you stay home. it's best someone stays home at all times."

home? this is our home now?

"while we are gone you can look for some stuff around the house and around the farm." clay suggests.
"alright." nick says. "i'm gonna take a shower."
"we should probably go to sleep early." clay turns to me.

after getting ready for bed i sit on my bed. suddenly i notice how much i hate feeling alone. i stand up and walk to clay's room. i knock on the door.
"yeah?" he answers.
"um.. can i-" i start but get cut off by the door swinging open.
"hey." he says as he guides me in.

we both lay down on his bed.
"i'm sorry i'm disturbing you i just.." i try to speak.
"you're not disturbing me. you know i like your company." he speaks softly.
"it's just.." i try to say as i feel my eyes watering. "no never mind."
he hugs me. "no, you can talk to me. please. talk to me."
"i miss my parents. i miss everyone." i say as i feel tears running down my face. "it's stupid."

"it's not stupid." he whispers. i sniffle. clay holds me tighter. "i got you. it's gonna be okay, you're going to be okay."