brutal

as we sit in the car the first two hours i don't see anything out of the blue. when we arrive in the city it looks completely abandoned.
"there's no way the city is empty already." i mention. "it's only been a day."
"i know." clay says parking the car. "we should just get everything from our list and go."
i nod my head and get out of the car clutching my knife tightly.
"we should go to the drugstore first. it's closest." i whisper. clay nods his head in agreement.

we walk over to the drug store and in silence. almost too silent. we grab a lot of medicine, most of them we don't even recognize. we grab some food, drinks and some hygiene stuff. we basically take everything that's left.
"bookstore?" i whisper.
"what?" clay tried to whisper. "you wanna get books?"
"educational books." i say looking up at him. "maybe we can find something about medical help or anything about farming."
he rolls his eyes jokingly. "good excuse to get some books for free."

we walk over to the bookstore and start looking for anything helpful. i probably take more than needed. clay comes to me with two books in his hands. the survival medicine handbook in his left hand and how farming really works: crops, vegetables and livestock.
"jackpot!" he whispers as he puts the two books in my bag and looks inside. "are all of those necessary?"
"yes, i got some books about how to live in the wild.." i pause. "and some others."
clay smirks at me. "alright. whatever you want."
"hey, i still deserve my entertainment." i say handing him the bag.

"we need guns." clay whispers when we're walking to the car to put the bookbag in.
"well do you know where to get them?" i ask.
"i do." clay says as he throws the bag in the trunk.
"you know i could go to the grocery store while you get guns." i offer.
"no. no way." clay answers. "we are not splitting up. i'll go with you."

after taking a lot of what's left we leave the grocery store.
"it's weird." i mention as we walk to the liquor store.
"what is?" clay asks.
"it's empty. it's only been a day." i look around.
"yeah. i don't know what happened." clay says. "we're here."
"a liquor store?" i ask him.
"there are weapons in the back." clay says opening the door.

we slowly move in but there are still no dead people inside. we go to the back and see a whole range of guns, knives and
"swords?" i ask picking one up.
"yeah. apparently." clay answers as he puts several guns in his bag. after we stock up we walk out of the store.

"look!" i whisper. i point at a walking dead man. "i can try out my sword on it."
"sure. go ahead. i'll be right behind you." clay says pulling out a gun. i walk closer to the dead man until he notices me and starts walking towards me. when he's close enough i swing my sword at his neck. it doesn't completely go through and it keeps on walking towards me. i open my mouth to ask clay for help but before i can speak all i see is the dead man falling to the ground and feeling his blood splatter on me.

"angela." clay speaks. "we need to go."
i look back at him and see his looking at something. i turn towards it and see a herd of dead people walking towards us. before i can react clay grabs my hand and we start running to the car.
"they aren't really that fast." i say as clay starts driving.
"probably because we had a head start." clay says still out of breath. "do they still have their hearing?"
"i don't know." i say looking back at the dead.
"they all came after i shot the gun. they might be attracted by sound." clay guesses.

"i got you a new diary." clay says holding a notebook.
"really? how'd you know mine was almost full?" i ask him.
"just guessed." he answers as he reaches in his bag again. "i also got you this."
"oh my god! i've been searching for that book everywhere!" i tell him as a grab the punk 57 book out of his hands and pull him into a hug.

"oh yeah guys! i almost forgot to tell you.." nick starts. "i heard someone talk on the radio today."
"what? it's been dead for months." clay reminds.
"what did they say?" i ask.
"it sounded like a man, he said something along the lines of 'is anyone out there' when i answered they stopped talking." nick answers.
"hmm." is all clay says.
"so what else did you guys get?" nick asked.
"just some food we found, new clothes and medicine." i answer before i walk inside.

when me and clay get home nick helps us bring the stuff inside.
"do you know how to shoot a gun?" nick asks me when we arrive inside.
"no, i dont. i wanna practice with this sword though." i answer as i look at it.
"i could teach you how to shoot." clay offers. "tomorrow?"
"where do we go?" i ask him. "didn't you think they were attracted by sound?"
"we'll drive a bit, find a good spot." clay answers.
"what about the seeds?" nick asks. "when are we gonna plant them?"

"oh right. look, clay found this book it might be useful for planting them." i say handing him the book.
"it's getting late. i'm going to sleep." clay says. i say goodnight to nick and go upstairs to get changed.

i pick up my bag of books and dig around for it. i grab my notebook and a pen. a diary might be a good idea to keep track of the days that go by. i write down 31/07/20 and start writing about my day. it's been three days now.

i go to clays door. when i'm about to knock, the door gets opened, by him.
"hi." he just smiles guiding me in.
"hi." i smile back sitting on his bed. it's been a good day, i'm happy.
he lays down next to me and looks at me. "yeah, yeah. you're cute. just stop smiling at me like that." he says as he pulls me into a hug.