mama, just killed a man

we walk into the church and make some noise for any dead people to come out before we go in. it's a big church, it would've actually been a good place to stay. a few dead people walk toward us but it's not anything we can't handle. we look through the church but it doesn't look like anyone has been here.

"guys i found some cans of food we can bring home!" nick yells. i start walking to him to see it for myself when i hear something from the right side of the church fall down. me and nick both look in the direction of the sound.

"clay?" i shout.
"what's up?" clay yells back from the left side of the church. i look to him and point at the direction of the sound. he looks confused and i put my finger on my lips making a "shush" gesture.

we slowly walk towards the sound when i see someone running out of the door.
"alex!" i yell but the person keeps running.
"so i'm assuming that's not alex." nick said.
"we haven't seen anybody in a year! i'm not just letting them go without talking to them." clay argues as he runs out of the church.

"oh my god." nick groans as he drags his hands along his face. we take the cans and walk out of the church but can't see clay anywhere nearby.
"he'll be back." nick speaks. "let's just bring these to the car, that's probably where he'll go after giving up chasing that person."

we calmly walk to our car. "i was right about feeling watch-" i try to say but get cut off by nicks hand on my mouth. he shushes me. then when i listen i hear people talking. it's coming from our left, from the dark alley in front of us.

a chunky black haired man emerges from the dark alley. "well what do we have here?" he asks. i turn around to see five tall men surrounding us. i drop my cans and pull out my sword and nick does the same with his gun.
"see, that's what we're not gonna do." the man laughs as i feel someone hold a gun to the back of my head.
"drop it." the man demands. "both of you."
me and nick both put down our weapons on the ground.
"get on your knees."
we listen what he says and get down on our knees.
"food? well that belongs to us now." the man says as one of the five men take our food and leaves.
i just look up at the man unsure how to get out of this situation.

"are you scared?" the man asks. tilting my chin up with his finger. i don't answer. "i can see that you're scared."
the man squats down in front of me. "but you're really beautiful." he continues and i scoff. "oh don't you worry, i'm gonna take good care of you."

"just tell us what you want from us." i hissed.
"you know, you try to hide it even though i can see right through you." the man says. "you're weak and scared."
"shut up."
"excuse me?" he says. "what was that?"
"i said shut-" i get cut off by a gunshot. i look around to see where the noise came from.
one of the men grabs my arms and pulls me to stand up. he holds my wrists together and i look at nick to see him in the same position as me.

"what was that? are there others with you?" the man snapped.
"no. just us two." nick lies. 
"you. search the perimeter." the man points at two thin men.

suddenly we hear a bunch of noises and a man shouting and then it's all silent.

"don't move!" the man yells as he walks to where the noises come from. suddenly i feel the grip of the man behind me loosen. i look back to see clay with a knife in his hand and the two men who were holding me and nick on the ground.
"come on." he speaks guiding us to the car.
"that was amazing! you're amazing!" i whisper yell and hear nick scoff.
"tell me again." clay says before killing a walker in front of the car.
"you are amazing, clay." i repeat.

"is he?" i hear a voice behind me and feel something cold press against my throat.
"not you again." nick sighs so i'm assuming it's the black haired man from a few minutes ago. i slowly pull a small knife out of my pocket attempting to do it without him noticing.
"hurt her, and you're dead." clay said holding his gun up. 
"drop it or i slit her throat." the man warns.

before clay can drop it i stab the man in his leg. the man slightly grazes my skin before he falls to the ground. i immediately take a step away from him and before i can process what just happen clay shoots the man in the head. i gasp and stumble backwards. nick grabs my knife and pulls me in the car.

"why would they just try to steal our stuff like that?" i ask.
"people do bad things when they are trying to survive." clay says eyes focused on the road.
"i think they wanted more than just our food." nick notices.

after a few moments of silence nick breaks it. "this is going to sound controversial, but i think that went well."
i chuckle and see clay look at me.
"angela, you're bleeding." he gasps. only then i noticed my neck.
"oh. it's really small. don't worry about it." i laugh it off.
"we're cleaning that first thing when we get back."
"alright." i answer just looking out the window.

when getting home clay cleans my wound while nick prepares dinner. i sigh and just stare at the radio hoping one of our friends would just start talking. "all done." clay smiles putting a bandage on the cut. "thank you, doctor." i joke. nick sets down our plates on the table as we all sit around it. then suddenly i hear something in the back of the room.

"hello?" i hear a female voice speak.