{O N E}

''one week before
connie's "adoption" ''

Word count: 1097

[your pov]

i watch as my siblings gather around to sort out a game of tag

i kneel down on the long, soft grass and let the gentle wind mess with my hair as i observe the children i see as my family

well, i see most of them as family.

i let my gaze wonder to one of my best friends, norman.

in truth, norman is the only person i wouldn't consider my sibling.

but that's only because i've had feelings for him since we were 7 years old, meaning that i have liked him for around 4 years.

nobody knows, not even my best friend, emma. i'm too scared that someone will tell him if they find out.

even though i trust my friends, i still get worried that's because i have a massive fear being rejection. i don't think i would be able to handle the embarrassment.

i don't want things to change, but one day, all of my friends will get adopted and there's nothing i can do about it.

no matter how much i hate the idea of it, it has to happen.

maybe i'll see them after we've all been adopted and maybe they'll actually send letters this time.

hopefully.

i snap out of my thoughts as i hear someone approach me, it was emma

"hey (name)! we're thinking about playing tag, do you want to join?" my best friend asks.

"of course!" I smile at her.

i stand up and feel my knees have become sore from applying pressure on them for so long.

but i ignore it, in a way it actually feels sort of nice.

i walk over to the group as emma goes over to ray, turns out emma is 'it' this round.

we all hear the red-haired girl count loudly as we all run into the forest.

i know exactly where to hide, to be fair, the location of my hiding spot isn't actually within the area I'm supposed to be.