Writing Queer Characters

**I got a question on the first chapter on how to write a bigender character in a way that wouldn't offend anyone. That's where I got the idea for this chapter**

I'm writing a character with a gender that I've never experienced. How do I not offend anyone?

Well, writers need to do a lot of research anyway if they're world building from scratch. If not, then they still need to do a bit of research into the world base they're using anyway. Just include a bit to look up the gender, what it means, and the varied experiences that people with that gender have. Depending on your goal for the story, maybe you can incorporate their usual struggles into your story and address in some way, that they shouldn't have to deal with it. A big thing I've seen is "Write what you know". So, learn about what you're writing. Also, don't treat your queer characters different than anyone else in the book unless there's a specific reason. For example, if all your characters have dark pasts, don't be afraid to give any queer characters in there some dark pasts too. If no one has dark pasts, unless they're in a specific position (ex. that one character in adventure stories that is the 'mentor' because of bad experiences. Or if the story is specifically about their struggles and you never go into other's past much, so you don't really know if the other characters' pasts are dark) then don't give your queer character a dark past.

I'm writing a character with a sexuality or romantic orientation that I've never experienced. How do I not offend anyone?

This answer is similar to the one above. Take the time to research it. Ask people you know if they're willing to talk about it. Treat your queer character regardless of their queer-ness unless it's specifically about their mistreatment about being queer.

I want to represent people, but I don't want it to overshadow the story.

This is one even I struggle with sometimes. If you're worried that you're overselling the queer in a part, take whatever your gender/sexuality/romantic orientation is and pretend for a moment that that character is that identity. How would you write it then? I find that this helps much of the time because it seems more 'normal'. It's easier to write because it's writing what you've always known in your life. Then, edit things to match their identity so it flows with the rest of the story, and that should fix the problem, if there is one at all.

If any of the info is wrong, PLEASE tell me! (This is not an invitation for queerphobes to spill their nonsense, this is for people who are genuinely trying to help if I got a definition or detail wrong.)

Until next time my lovelies, stay safe, you're valid, and I love you.