Chapter 24

The community center shone brightly into the dark night. It seemed to be lit by thousands of lights. Jolie stood just inside the foyer waiting for Warren to return from parking the car. A blast of warm air rushed past her from inside. It was cold outside, but she imagined it was sweltering inside. The dull roar coming through the doors sounded like hundreds of people.

Warren jogged across the street with his hands deep in his pockets. A plume of white condensation billowed into the air as he let out a breath and hopped up the community center stairs.

"The others are already inside. Beau texted me." He took her hand and together they pushed into the bustle of people.

Jolie was surprised. Sleepy little Boise City didn't appear to have many residents during the light of day. Apparently, every one of them liked a good party, and turned out in hordes for one.

Men and women of all ages, shapes, and sizes were decked out in their finest roaming about the expansive room with paper plates and plastic cups balanced precariously before them. Still more were exhibiting their line dancing skills in the center of the hall to the live band playing on stage.

"Do you want something to drink?" Warren leaned in close, his lips almost touching her ear to be heard above the din. Jolie shook her head. "Ok, Beau said they were up on the balcony. The stairs are this way."

Warren placed his hand in the small of her back and held her close as he maneuvered through the crowd of people to a wide industrial looking staircase. Jolie could see people leaned against a railing staring down on the dance floor from above. Tall bar tables and stools with more people could be seen behind them.

Together they ascended the staircase and began the search for their group. Sue saw them first and flagged them over.

"Oh honey look at you!" Sue gushed as she folded Jolie in a hug. "You look like a bright shining gem! I just love this dress. It's amazing!"

Sue looked amazing herself in a empire waist, ruby red satin, strapless dress that billowed gracefully over her prominent baby bump. Her long, shining dark hair was pulled into a sophisticated French twist. Ruby drop earring dripped from her ears.

"You're one to talk," Jolie turned to Beau who was patting Warren on the back. "Beau you're wife is smokin hot tonight."

Beau smiled and colored a light pink. "Yes ma'am. She is even more beautiful than normal tonight." Beau himself looked uncomfortable and confined in a light blue Brush Popper, dark wash Wranglers, and boots.

Tommy and a slightly familiar looking girl were sitting close together talking further down the table. Jolie thought she recognized the girl from the specialty grocery store. Tommy followed in his brother's foot steps in his western flair. He had on a smokey gray twill shirt, Wranglers and boots. His date looked bright and young in a short, orange tube of fabric.

Another young woman sat beside Tommy's date looking bored in a flowered sundress.

The tag along friend.

Jolie felt a wave of pity wash over her for the girl. She wondered where Jake was. He could be talking to her. Jolie glanced around, but didn't see her friend anywhere.

Maybe he's getting drinks?

"Jolie come over here and meet my friend Cindy." Sue took her arm and tugged her to a corner of the tall square table. Sue's friend Cindy was older, but just as lively as her companions. Jolie liked her immediately. Cindy's steel gray hair was wild and curly. She had on a long flowing tie dye dress.

"I love your dress. It's so fun!" Jolie told her.

The other woman waved off the compliment. "I've had it for years. But thank you."