Chapter 13

He had no idea why he'd done it. He didn't regret it but he had no idea what to do now. He'd just stood up and walked away. He'd covered with his smooth exit line but really he'd just been running away because he was afraid of what he'd truly wanted to do which was to ravage her mouth. Warren had wanted to kiss her incoherent then pick her up, carry her inside and start all over again. He'd never wanted anything more in his entire life.

Warren stalked through the house and straight to his bedroom for safety. He paced the floor trying to pinpoint what had come over him, how he'd lost all sanity and gone and done the unthinkable. The worst part was his hasty retreat and now he had no idea the result of his actions. What if she was angry and packing her things right now? Worse yet what if she as upset and currently bawling her eyes out somewhere in the house? He couldn't stand the thought of having hurt her or upset her. The last thing he would ever want to do is make her life harder.

He ran his hands through his hair and paced a few more times before deciding a shower was going to be his next course of action. A hot shower followed closely by a dousing of freezing cold should do the trick to help calm him down and organize his thoughts but as he stood under the scalding spray the only thing he could see were a pair of hazel eyes looking up at him full of challenge. He felt himself getting aroused in response to the memory of those eyes.

Something about her made him want to do anything she put out there. He wanted to hold her and protect her when she was sad but he also wanted to meet every challenge she laid down. That look of smug self confidence had activated a need in him to take control, to show her how wild he felt inside and make her feel it too. Before he'd had a chance to think himself out of it his lips had been on hers and then there was nowhere else he'd rather have them be.

She hadn't fought him or pushed him away. After a couple seconds of shock she'd softened, and if he hadn't imagined it, even kissed him back. He wanted to believe it. Even if it were true, what would that mean? It could have just been an unconscious response to being kissed; as if her body just responded of its own accord. It could also have been that she didn't mind being kissed by him. This option should have provided him some comfort but didn't.

It hadn't been just a kiss for him.

Whatever this was, it wasn't simple. It was serious; it  was deep. Like it or not, sitting in the shower with the water quickly turning cold as it poured over his bowed head, Warren had to admit to himself and to God the truth. At some point he had fallen deeply in love with Jolie Bradbury.

*************

After his cocky exit she'd spent a goodly amount of time in her room trying to sort herself out. She was an equal mix of confusion and elation. His kiss had lit something inside of her that had seemed long dead. As uncomfortable as the current confusion and mixed emotions were, it felt good to be fully alive again. Even if he regretted his actions and wished he hadn't kissed her, she still had him to thank for waking her up.

The unknown was what was killing her. He'd disappeared into the house and then she'd heard the shower running then shut off. He still hadn't emerged. Was he going to avoid her now?

Jolie busied herself in the kitchen. Regardless of what happened now she was in charge of dinner, and if he ended up demanding she move out, she'd rather do it with food in her stomach.

Garlic and butter began to sizzle in the skillet as Jolie stirred. She added shrimp and onion to the mix.

Worst case scenario he wanted her to leave immediately. If he would allow her to use his pickup she could load up a couple bags and get a room at a local hotel. He was a good guy and she couldn't imagine him refusing to take her gifts to his family or not allowing her transportation. More likely, if he wanted her to leave, he'd give her time to find a new place.