Chapter 25

It was five til midnight and Jolie congratulated herself on managing to avoid her one on one with Jake. She didn't know what he wanted, but the intensity in which she'd caught him staring at her and Warren throughout the evening make her feel certain it wouldn't be pleasant.

Warren volunteered to intercede, but she'd turned down his offer. Jake was her friend and she would deal with him on her own. The last thing she needed was a pissing match between two hot headed males to end a perfectly wonderful night.

She spotted Jake moving around the table in her direction, his eyes locked firmly on her. A minor sense of panic invaded her.

Jolie was saved once again by the arrival of Beau and Tommy who'd volunteered to retrieve glasses of champaGne for the midnight toast. Both men began passing out the stemware of golden, sparkling fluid. Carlie hooked her arm in Jakes, stopping his travels and handed him a glass.

Warren appeared by her side with a glass in both hands. He handed her one. "It's almost countdown time. I want to make sure I'm ready to kiss those gorgeous lips of yours." He smiled at her.

As if on cue the crowd began to countdown from ten at he top of their voices. Warren and Jolie joined in. At the stroke of midnight the band began to play "Auld Lang Syne". Warren pulled Jolie into a tight embrace and kissed her like tomorrow would never come.

Jolie returned the kiss enthusiastically.

It was only when they realized their friends were laughing and clearing their throats theatrically that they pulled apart.

"Sheesh! Don't you guys need to breath?" Tommy teased. His date swatted at him in reprimand.

Jolie rolled her eyes and took a sip of her champayne before beaming back up at Warren. He didn't look the least bit embarrassed by the teasing. She glanced around checking on the members of her party.

Cindy and her cowboy admirer were down on the dance floor swaying to the age old tune of New Years past and present. Sue sat perched on a bar stool with a glass of sparkling cider. Beau stood before her holding her hands and looking completely entranced by his wife. Hannah and Carlie were making high pitched squealing noises of laughter. Jolie had the sneaking suspicion they'd had quite a few drinks during the course of the evening. Tommy and Jake stood to the side of the females with beers in hand in what looked like awkward, stilted conversation.

Tommy caught her surveying the crowd and sent her a sardonic smile. She didn't guess those two would be keeping in touch after Jake left town. Jake's eyes slid to the side and focused intently on a nearby wall.

"I've got to go to the bathroom," She slid from her stool and reached up on tip toes to kiss Warren's cheek. "I'll be right back."

The line wasn't too long. Thankfully, she'd made the decision to go early in anticipation of the normal state of women's public restrooms.

Fifteen minutes later she blotted her clean hands on her a paper towel and opened the door with it before throwing it in the garbage. She took a few steps in the direction of the table before someone grabbed her elbow.

Her eyes swung around to find out who was detaining her and found Jake. Jolie took a breath. This was it. Her luck had run out.

"Can we talk now?" He asked.

She nodded and followed him to the far back of the balcony area. There were large windows that overlooked the sleepy town of Boise City and it was a quieter there.

"So what's up?" She cut straight to the chase.

Jake suddenly looked a little unsure of himself. He straightened his shoulders and took a breath. "I'm concerned you don't know what you are getting into with Warren."