01. THE LEAP

╲⠀╲⠀╲            
⠀⠀╲⠀╲⠀☆           ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀☆⠀ ╲⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀  
⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀★

𝟬𝟭. 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗣
"ᴅᴇᴀᴛʜ ʟᴇᴀᴠᴇꜱ ᴀ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛᴀᴄʜᴇ ɴᴏ ᴏɴᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴇᴀʟ, ʟᴏᴠᴇ ʟᴇᴀᴠᴇꜱ ᴀ ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀʏ ɴᴏ ᴏɴᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ꜱᴛᴇᴀʟ."
ꜰʀᴏᴍ ʜᴇᴀᴅꜱᴛᴏɴᴇ ɪɴ ɪʀᴇʟᴀɴᴅ...

ADDISON WALSH STARES AT THE OPEN FILE SITTING ON HIS DESK, his eyes unable to leave the image of his best friend that could do nothing but stare back up at him

ADDISON WALSH STARES AT THE OPEN FILE SITTING ON HIS DESK, his eyes unable to leave the image of his best friend that could do nothing but stare back up at him. Photographs don't do people any sort of justice and her eyes just look lifeless on the page. He wants to look away. But it's Nessa. He can't. He shouldn't. He must remember.

He feels so empty staring at her green eyes, his heart calling questions into the darkness for her.

Why did you rush headfirst into danger?

Why did you have to die?

Why did you leave me?

Questions, questions, questions. But never any answers. Just the echo of her final breaths haunting his brain and the memory of those beautiful green eyes losing their light for the millionth time. He shivers when she dies again in his memories, an unseen hand tracing a cold chill under his clothes and down his back until he wants nothing more than to run away. Run far away and never come back.

"Walsh!" A familiar voice pulls Addison away from the predator of his mind and back into the light. Everything comes back to him in brief snapshots.

He's at the Supernatural Security Bureau.

Today is his first day back since the case on Hellbound's slaughter closed.

And he's being called by Captain Nathanael Kovacs.

"Sir?" Addison moves to stand.

Kovacs beckons him into his office as he passes by, walking at a brisk pace. "My office, Walsh. We need to discuss something now that you're finally back to work. Tired of being behind the desk yet?"

He resists the urge to sigh and follows his boss into the dimly lit office. It was always kept darker here than the rest of the floor because Kovacs would often get headaches caused by the bright fluorescent lights all over the SSB. Addison likes the darkness more, gives him leeway so he doesn't have to manage his facial expressions as much. And it was cooler here too.

"Captain, what's this about?"

"Your therapist tells me you've been making some progress." Kovacs starts in an oddly conversational tone, one that isn't often used and can easily raise suspicion. Without waiting for any comment on Addison's part, Kovacs continues on. "Good. Because you've been gone a few months and, while you've been grieving and recovering from the little bloodbath birthday party Asmodeus threw for himself, things have been getting a little hectic on the demon side of things."