PROLOGUE

Hello!!
Thanks for stopping and giving Edna Kimberly a chance.
Hope you will enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing.

Michael

-

------------------------------------------------------------

Edna Kimberly

"It's okay to be nervous ", my mother said with smiles as she used her thumb to push my hair behind my ears.

I could hear my father making jokes and others laughing at his jokes on the stage.

"Were you? ", I asked her timidly.

"Me? Girl I was shaking as a leaf but I am surprised you're doing a great job", she said still smiling.

"Now go out there and make me proud ", she said with a hug and left to join the audience.

"Hey Edna", someone called from behind me.

I turned, and it was my brother, Nathan and his friends.

"Put on a good show", he said as they burst into laughter.

"Thanks", I replied innocently.

"It wasn't a compliment, dumby", they burst into another laughter as they walked away.

I went closer to the curtain as I tried to calm myself down.

"And now, the moment we've all been waiting for, please welcome my daughter, Edna", my father announced as the audience clapped and cheered.

I walked to where my father stood and another applause ensued.

"So Edna... ", he said and paused as he waited for silence.

"How are you feeling today? ", he asked and looked at me.

"A little bit nervous", I muttered which he ignored.

"Show us what our ancestors has blessed you with", he said and went back to his seat as more applause followed. I picked the ancestral candle and lit it nervously trying not to make a mistake. I held it out in front of me and closed my eyes and waited. The silence in the hall haunted me as it was abnormal.

Everyone stared at me quizzically.
I stretched out my hand again in anticipation, but still nothing happened.

Everyone had began to murmur as they glanced around in confusion.

I still didn't give up. My arms began to ache from being stretched out for so long. I brought them down and made a quick glance at my father who had no expression on his face. I turned to look at my brother's face, and as I feared, he and his friends were laughing silently. Tears welled up in my eyes as I ran upstairs to my room. I threw myself on the bed, buried my face in the pillow and cried.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Drop your comments below and also remember to vote.

Michael