Not Even A Chance

I rush over to Maverick, "You can't be serious!! I'm not flying with him!!" I shout.

"And I'm not flying with her! I value my life thank you very much!" Hangman says and I glare at him.

"We are both going to die if we fly together. He's a cocky jerk who thinks he's so special!" I yell, looking at him when I say the last part.

"And she's a brat who values her life over her wingmans." He says back and I shake my head.

"It's not like I ejected and let him die!! I crashed too!!!! I was just 'lucky' enough to live!" I snap and Hangman falls silent. Maverick looks between us and nods, "This group is only as strong as it's weakest link...you two are the weak link so I'm fixing that." He says before walking out, "Now go have fun!" He say to us as he leaves and we just look at each other.

"You crashed?" He asks and I nod.

"Yeah.....our engine was shot and our plane started free falling out of the sky, we both tried ejecting and they just....they didn't work. Next thing I knew I was in the worst pain I have ever felt as I laid on the ground, not knowing what the hell just happened. That was until I saw...I saw Conner, he barely looked like himself at that point, if it wasn't for the name on his helmet I don't think I would have known it was him. I wasn't supposed to live that, I wish I didn't most of the time, but here I am, getting back into a plane." I explain and he looks at me not knowing what to say. He stares at me and nods a bit,

"I heard the rest of the group is going to the bar, you wanna join?" He asks.

"Sure." I nod and take a deep breath as we head there.

Once we arrive we see the whole group along with several other people all hanging out at the pool table. Phoenix sees me and immediately runs over, "Okay well that sucks!" She says, "He's a total douchbag!"

"I couldn't agree more." I laugh.

"She was all emotional dude, oh my poor self! I didn't eject, Hangman! I crashed!" Hangman mocks me to Coyote and Fanboy. Anger immediately fills my body and I storm over and just as Bob is about to take a shot, I rip the pool stick out of his hands, flip it over so the fat side is away from me and I hit Hangman in the face with it, as hard as I can. He falls to his knee but immediately gets up and tackles me to the ground and I hear several people gasp and whisper.

"Get off of her!!" Bob yells but Hangman ignored him and strikes me in the face with his fist. My cheek instantly starts to sting and the pain brings tears to my eyes.

"Dude.....that's too far!" Coyote says and Fanboy nods. Rooster quickly grabs Hangman and drags him away from me, shoving him towards the bar,"Go get yourself some ice." He says with an annoyed tone.

I lay there as I keep my eyes closed tightly as the stinging gets worse,

"Lottie?" I hear someone say so I open one eye to see Bob has his hand extended out towards me so I gently take it and he helps me up, "Ouch..." He says looking at my cheek and I let out a small chuckle.

"I think ouch is an understatement." I laugh more and he laughs as he looks at me concerned. I look over to see a girl around my age, in a Navy uniform that says 'Hoffman' on it, hand Hangman a ice pack.

"This should help." She gently puts it on his jaw, that's already starting to bruise.

"Thank you....Hoffman." He reads her name.

"Sandra or Sandy." She says as her face turns bright red when he smiles at her.

"Alright, Sandy girl. I'm Jake." He winks at her causing her to smile really wide. "But everyone calls me by my call sign,Hangman." He says.

"Well it's nice meet you, Hangman." She gets up and starts to walk away when he stops her "What's your call sign?"

"Baywatch." She says then walks away. The smile on his face grew wider than I've ever seen it as he walks up to me, "See that?" He doesn't stop smiling.

"What? A girl not realizing she's making the biggest mistake of her life? Yeah I did." I tease and he rolls his eyes but I hear Bob let out a quiet laugh. "Hangman..." I say and he looks back,

"Yeah?"

"Tomorrow, let's put everything behind us and just....fly." I say hoping he'll agree but he walks over to me.

"Not even a chance." He says then walks away.