Recovery

"I need to see him." I tell the nurse, that was in my room checking me over.

"Well then today is your lucky day. You need to start physical therapy to help you walk so that would be a great start. I'll be by your side the whole time so don't worry about falling, I'll catch you." She says as she carefully moves my legs to hang off the bed. "Go at your own pace and if you don't think you can make it, don't push yourself okay?" She asks me and I nod.

"Okay." I take a deep breath and slide off the bed, holding onto the nurses arm for support. She quickly puts her hand on my back to help steady me as I slowly take small steps.

"Very good." She says, carefully letting go of me and I wobble slightly but I quickly regain my balance and I'm able to walk a tad faster to Jake's room.

"Jake." I say with a small smile. His arms are wrapped up and he has a bandage around his head along with an IV in his right arm. "I'm so sorry...." I say as my heart shatters at the sight of him.

"You're okay!" He says with a smile as he looks at me.

"Im so sorry this happened to you, Jake...." I say.

"Don't apologized, this wasn't on you. My plane got shot down, I knew the risk I was taking going after you. Has Bob visited you?" He asks and I frown.

"No he hasn't...." I say as my heart sinks at the thought.

"Oh..well um I'm sure he will." He says awkwardly.

"Thanks." I say equally as awkward. "I always fail, Jake. First my co-pilot and now I can't even complete the training for this mission."

"You've said it before, it wasn't your fault your co-pilot died, the plane malfunctioned. Freak accidents happen, you can't keep blaming yourself. And none of us have completed the training, its a very hard mission, nearly impossible." His voice trails off.

"Has Sandy come by...? She seemed really scared when you crashed." I say.

"She left me a card. Hasn't come back to check on me at all." He rolls his eyes.

"Alright, times up. Its time we get you back into bed." A nurse says.

"Jake." I look at him and he looks me directly in the eyes.

"Yeah?" He asks.

"Thank you." I say, walking out of the room and slowly making my way back to my room. As we reach my room, a nurse rushes past me wheeling a man into my room and quickly lays him on the bed next to mine. The nurse helping me quickly helps me to my bed before rushing over to the young guy, who lays there unconscious.

"Carol Hargrove, age 20, he was shot in the hip and leg." The other nurse says to the nurse, who was helping me, and my heart sinks.

"We need to give him blood NOW." One of them says as the other hooks him up to a few IVs.

"Is he okay...?" I ask slowly laying down in my bed, wincing slightly.

They both look over at me before looking back to Carol and continue working on him. I watch as they dig into his hip and successfully get the bullet out, then they start working on his leg and after a few minutes they get that bullet out also.  As I watch I see him slowly open his eyes and a wave of relief washes over me. The two nurses soon leave the room and shut the door.

"Hi." I whisper and the guy looks over at me. His eyes are an emerald green and his hair is light brown and wavy, complementing his face perfectly.

"Hi." He smiles softly then winces.

"Thank you for your service." I say, seeing his uniform hanging up, its an army uniform, but its stained with blood.

"Thank you for yours." He smiles.

"Oh I haven't really done much but crash.....a lot." I laugh slightly and he laughs.

"Well I heard you went into enemy grounds to save your friend so that's brave." He encourages me.

"Thank you. I'm Lottie."

"What a beautiful name. I'm Carol." He says .

"Thank you." I blush, " I like your name too." I say and he laughs.

"That's a first. Most people's first reaction is 'isnt that a girl's name' ?" He laughs.

"Well I think its very....attractive." I smile then look over at the doorway to see Sandy and Bob walking in. "Hey guys!" I wave.

"Hey, beautiful." Bob walks over and kisses my head.

"Hi, Lottie!" Sandy says smiling at me then looks over at Carol and her eyes grow wide as she turns back to me.

"Guys, this is Carol. Carol, this is my boyfriend Bob and my best friend Sandy." I introduce them.

"Nice to meet you." Bob says.

"H...hi." Sandy blushes and I smile, looking between them. His face lights up and a huge smile crosses his face as he looks at her.

"This may be the medicine talking but if you don't mind me saying, you are the most beautiful woman I have ever laid eyes on." He says looking into her eyes. Her eyes grow wide and her face turns a dark red.

"It's definitely the medicine." I say and they laugh. 

"Hey! Shush!" Sandy laughs then looks back at Carol. She walks over to his bed and sets a piece of paper down on his nightstand before winking and walking out of the room. Bob looks between them, then back at me and shrugs. 

"Well you two hit it off well."  I say to Carol and he groans and throws his head back against his pillow. "What? are you okay?!" I ask, slightly worried.

"Why did I say that? She probably thinks I'm a creep now! I'm such an idiot." He says.

"Oh yes, because girls absolutely hate being called beautiful by attractive men." I say sarcastically.

"You don't think it was too forward?" He asks, still worried.

"I think Sandy will never stop smiling because of what you said." I say. 

"Really?" He smiles.

"She's my best friend. I promise you." I encourage him. He nods then opens the note and smiles wide,

"You were right! She gave me her number!" He says happily.

"Told ya." I smirk. Bob holds my hand and shakes his head.

"I swear girls have superpowers between them." Bob says, "You always know what the other is thinking, even without saying anything. It's weird." He says and I laugh.

"You caught us." I say with a smirk and he bends down and gently kisses me and I kiss back for a few seconds before pulling away. "Jake...he's going to be pissed." I say, suddenly concerned.

"Whose Jake?" Carol asks.

"Sandy's ex with serious anger issues...." Bob says then looks at me with wide eyes.

"Great...." Carol mumbles.

A\N: Sorry for the super late update. I've been crazy busy with work and have had no time to write! Yes, Carol is based off the character in Devotion haha, he was too cute not to add to the story. I hope you all enjoy this chapter! Merry (early) Christmas!!!!