Chapter 2

'Ma'am!

A loud blaring noise made my eyes fly open, a knife forming in my hand and holding it out. Then I realised that no one was there, so I dropped my hands. 

"SARAH, you have to find less disturbing ways of waking me up." 

'I'm sorry, ma'am, you'd fallen asleep from overwork again. You shouldn't worry about them, I doubt they'd find you here.

"SARAH. You've been around since I was seven. You're eight years old, you should know better. They can find me even if I hide in the most concealed nooks and crannies on this surprisingly small town." 

'That doesn't mean you shouldn't take it easy. It will be a while until they find you.

"Meaning I have to be ready." I retorted firmly, picking up the glasses and storing them safely on my person. "I'm glad you have concern for me, despite being a non-sentient AI, but we both know by experience that I can take care of myself." Shutting the door, I stepped out- 

I felt something rush towards me, and I bent back just in time for a robot to whoosh past where my face once was and skid on the ground. Five people were fighting a moustachioed egg-shaped man in a floating egg. 

"Well, that's something you don't see everyday." I mused, raising an eyebrow. 

"Are you ok, ma'am? That was a close shave." The blue hedgehog was standing in front of me, looking concerned. 

"How d'you think I am after almost getting my head blown off by a crabesque robot?" 

"In retrospect, you may be correct. Any injuries?" His eyes travelled down my body, lingering on my waist-

Oh, the pervert. 

"My eyes are up here, mate." I snapped, clicking my fingers sharply. "No injuries that I know of."

"T-T-That's good." He seemed really flustered, a tinge of pink on his face. "You have a g-great physique; you work out much?" 

"Listen, Cynic-" 

"Sonic-" 

"Yeah, that's what I said. I don't need people poking around in my personal biz yet, it's a bit too early for that. So, how about you go about your business and I'll go about mine. Sound good?" I waited a millisecond before continuing, "All sorted." 

"I don't even know your name." Flicking my hand, I conjured up a card and handed it to him. 

"That should tell you all you need to know." I strutted away, taking a walk through the forest. However, I heard SARAH bleep from inside my case, so I took the glasses out and put them on, tapping the side to activate her. 

"What's up?" 

'Anomalous movement detected.

"Scan the environment." 

'Scanning... to your left, on the tree.' I moved closer to the tree, cautiously putting my hand up and letting my thumb graze the bark, outlining a logo that had an A and an R joined together, a C outlining it. Just then, a twig snapped, so I took out a device, slamming it on my arm and lifting it up just in time for a Ring Blade to collide with an energy shield that had appeared with the help of the device. 

"Thought you could pull a fast one on me, huh?" I chuckled, staring into the blue eyes of the offender. "Think again." 

I moved quickly and grabbed her arm, twisting around and hauling her over my head, letting her slam onto the floor. Thinking quickly, the assassin tried to sweep me, but I did a 360 jump before mimicking her actions, letting her fall to the floor. 

"I'm pretty sure that she warned you never to use my tricks. You can't compete with the original." Now that I had her guard down, I seized the chance and grabbed her suit, harshly yanking her forward. "Who are you?!" I raised my fist, charged with energy that crackled around my fingers ominously.

Reaching up with a trembling hand, the person who attacked me pulled her hood off, revealing a chipmunk with a tuft of red hair, eyes the colour of when the sun shines on the ocean. Wait... 

"Sally? She sent you here?" I gasped, lowering my fist just a little. 

"I didn't have a choice! I was told to bring you back!" 

"I thought they knew better." 

"I knew it was an impossible task but I had to try. No one wants to die at the hands of her, do they?" 

"I get your point. This is your chance to reform, Sally. Go to Iris and give her my warning. If she comes back again and tries to  put any of my friends in danger again, I'm going to tear that building to smithereens with her in it." I let her go, shaking my fist to dissipate the energy. "I took the chance to beg for redemption. Maybe you should too." 

Sally nodded, smiling, before retracting her blade and jumping off into the distance.