Chapter 3

I was taking a brisk stroll across town, taking in the greenery. The lush green trees swayed delicately, the satisfying crunch of my shoes on the sand ringing pleasantly in my ears. The sun kissed my skin lightly, to combat it small butterfly-like ribbons of wind dancing and bouncing off of the surface of my body. 

"Oh, come on!" A childish voice exclaimed before a loud clanging and grunting noise disturbed my peaceful day. 

So much for being relaxed today.

Turning around, I saw a young yellow fox, who seemed familiar, working on a plane of a particular shade of blue. Walking towards him, I smiled (a rare occurrence) and nodded towards the plane. 

"Having some trouble?" 

"Yeah. I was meant to be working on my plane to patrol for Sonic today, but it just won't start." 

"Want me to help?" The young kitsune put up his hands, shaking his head modestly. 

"No, no. I can't put you through that much trouble. I'll figure it out." These words induced a laugh from me as I grabbed a rolling board and straightened my gloves. 

"Trust me, kid, I've gone through enough trouble to last me a lifetime." Lying my back on the board, I rolled it under the plane, sliding open the undercarriage and looking at a mass of wires. Touching one wire, I secretly let my energy powers flow through my finger and into the wires, searching for anything blocking my way. 

Aha. 

There were some tangled wires that had restricted and snapped one. Gently taking it, I pulled it to the front. 

"Found it." I grunted, rolling back out. "Pass me the pocket welding laser." Taking the piece of equipment, I slid back under and held the wires together, carefully using the laser to meld the protective casing together before placing it back in carefully and sliding the cover back on before emerging from underneath the large cerulean plane. 

"What was wrong?" The young fox asked, tapping his spanner quietly against his palm. 

"Your wires were misplaced, so they'd snapped another. I melted the casing and wires so they stayed together." I clapped my hands together before rubbing the dust off of them. 

"Thanks! How did you do that?" The young fox asked, tapping his plane smoothly. 

"I have eight PhDs, and a degree in engineering, automotive engineering and chemistry." I replied with a chuckle. 

"That's awesome! It's Violetta, isn't it?" He tentatively mentioned, scratching his ear. 

"Speaking. And you?" 

"I'm Miles. But everyone calls me Tails." 

"Nice to meet you, Tails. You're a smart guy for a kid of eight." 

"Sonic told me that you were really arrogant and snarky. I don't think so. I think it's just that he sees himself in you, that's all." Those words induced a loud guffaw from me, my hands moving to my hips. 

"He sees himself in me?" Tails smirked, folding his arms. 

"Do you think I can't recognise a hero when I see one? I've been around them my whole life!" 

"I was far from a hero, Tails. You have... no idea." 

"I don't see anyone bad, Violetta. I see someone who's good, and I'm sure if you open up eventually, others will see that too. Right now, you're giving off a strong Shadow vibe." His watch bleeped, alerting him. 

"Sonic needs my help in the canyon. It was good talk, and you're welcome to hang round my workshop if you ever need a friend." 

Friend.