Ch.1 Leather Jackets & Sleeveless Shirts

Starting his walk home from the movie theatre Ponyboy Curtis only had one thought on his mind, how to avoid the car that's been tailing him for the last half block. It was the same red Corvair that had jumped him a week prior, their leader Bob had been killed when they came for him and Johnny in the park. Now his friends wanted revenge, it didn't matter that Johnny had died that night as well. 

He was about to start running again when he felt a heavy arm sling around his shoulder. Tensing before the scent that was only Dallas Winston hit him, relaxing and glancing up he was right. Dally was walking beside him all casual like with an arm slung over his shoulder, the brown leader jacket feeling soft against his bare arms. Risking a look he noticed the car was no longer following as close. 

Everyone knew not to mess with Dally's broad, and being gay over on the wrong side of town wasn't uncommon so his best guess was when big strong prison record breaking Dallas walked right up to Ponyboy and treating him like a dame the socs backed off. Some of the socs he learned was scared to catch the gay, while some themselves practiced it. All he knew was times were changing in Tulsa. 

Bringing his gaze back up to Dallas he couldn't help but to smile. The soft jawline that was always clenched, those sharp eyes that held the meanest hatred for the world he ever did see. 

"Ya know you ain't supposed to be walkin' around by yourself kid, 'specially after last week" With a crooked smile and a half laugh Dallas looked down at the younger teen 

"I know Dal, I just wanted to see a movie after that whole thing" Shivering softly at the sudden pick up of wind Pony glanced away from the other, only to look right back when he felt the heavy leather of Dal's jacket weighted on his shoulder 

Throwing his arm back over his shoulder and keeping a side eye out on the Corvair "You'll catch your death if you keep walkin' out here withouta coat" 

"I just ain't thinkin', what're we gonna do bout that soc car?" 

Tightening his hold on the other Dallas looked ahead "Just keep close to me, act like my dame they wont mess with ya" 

Leaning into Dal's side Ponyboy played up the role, laughing himself at the brunettes chuckle. "Should we just head over to our side of town?" 

"Nah, you know well as I do, they looking for revenge they don't care bout no territory. We'll head somewhere public, they won't risk more than a fair fight then" Tilting his head towards the sky then back at Pony "You fancy seein' another movie? 

"Sure though I ain't got money for coke and such" 

Laughing, the elder changed their directions heading for the daily double "You're playing my dame remember? I'll spree get ya all the coke and popcorn you could ever want" 

Covering his mouth as he laughed Ponyboy shook his head "You're crazy Dal" 

Continuing their walk they had almost made it to the drive-in when they ran into Two-Bit, seeming to have the same idea of a movie, though knowing him he probably wasn't there to actually watch the film. Deciding to sit together, all wary now if that car was going to pull in. 

"Damn Pony, you decked out in a jacket, Dal's too!" Two-Bit was the first to start laughing at his own statement, trying to  lighten the heavy mood the three had sunk into

"Shut it, he's protecting me from those socs that keep tailin' me" Taking his seat next to the Dallas, surprised that the delinquent put his arm around him yet again 

"Protecting? What're you a broad? Didn't know you were into men 'specially ones like Dally" 

Pony knew Two-bit was doing nothing but messing around, trying to cause a stir to lighten the talk of the socs but the anger that flashed was real. Sitting up straight, practically standing he started to shout, Dallas pulling his arm back and smiling with wide pride. 

"Damn it Two-Bit what if I do like guys huh? There ain't no issue in that, and you know that! And so what if I want a little protectin' huh! I watch a soc get murder, a soc who killed Johnny with his dying breath. So excuse me and all my audacity if I'd like to feel safe from a car of socs that wants revenge on me! Maybe I don't wanna end up dead like Johnny. So Keith for once in your life shut up!" Standing now with unwanted tears in his eyes Ponyboy wiped his eyes forcefully and stormed off to the concessions stand to take a cooling off. 

Stood shell shock Two-Bit didn't know what to do, not even his mother called his given name anymore, and here 14 year old kid brother Curtis just made him red in the face with a verbal whoopin'. Watching as Dallas stood himself, a half scowl directed at the older teen. 

"Two-Bit I suggest you learn when to hold that tongue of yours, I have a feelin' Pony won't be a pushover anymore" With that he walked past the other and to the concessions stand

Standing by the entrance was Ponyboy, shaking with anger and a bloodied fist. Down by his feet was a soc, one that had probably made a smart comment and ended up with a broken nose and jaw. 

Putting a heavy hand on the back of his head Dally turned him so he could take him into the concessions stand, holding back a small chuckle of his own. "Never thought I'd see you break a nose Ponyboy" 

"Oh shut it, ain't like you never did it before" 

"You're right, but you ain't me. Kid we all went a little sour when Johnny died. You know I did, bout got myself killed." Handing the younger teen a coke and popcorn as he actually paid for the stuff

Shrinking back into the leather jacket Pony looked away almost like he was ashamed of his outburst "Dally?" 

"Yeah kid?" 

"Do you think Johnny would be upset if I hung with you more? Angry that I was like trying to take his spot or somethin'?"

Frowning softly the brunette looked down at the other "I don't think so, cause I don't see it as tryin' to take his spot. Just as you tryin' to find your own, 'specially since ya hung with us anyways most the time" 

Nodding softly and mauling things over in his brain the young greaser leaned against the exterior wall of the stand, throwing his head back for it the thud harshly against the wood that desperately needed repainting. 

"If you feel like punching somethin' I'm sure me and you could go get into a fight" Dallas offered with a half shug, if he were being honest after the senseless thing Two-Bit had said he wanted to punch someone himself 

"Sounds nice, but after the coke and such. You did actually buy it" With half a laugh Pony made his way back to their seats 

Chuckling as well the older followed "I said I would, it's only proper if I'm treatin' you as my dame and such"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Word Count - 1235