Ch.8 The Road So Far

If you asked him Pony could tell you every reason he like Dallas, the soft jaw always clenched, those icey eyes that held nothing but hatred for the world but seemed to soften for him. Maybe some of it was the danger of being around him, not knowing what if or fo the fuzz might show up for or not.
The exilerating way he fought may it be clean or with knives or chains.

Asking Dally the same he would admit that before he never thought much about books or the words that filled them, but when that honeyed voice read to him he felt like melting snow. It was like he could taste the words himself, told Pony that too. That they tasted like some fancy sweet booze he'd stolen from a Soc one time.

The two had parted ways the other night after a brawl they'd gotten into over at Buck's this one rougher than the last though still a clean fight. In the almost two weeks the pair had been fake dating Pony was getting a reputation almost as bad as Dally's just without the mile long prison record.

Socs that still dared to mess with the youngest Curtis ended up with their ass handed to them, either by Dallas or Pony himself. The other greases had seen the change the most, and all had seen that it wasn't a change made from corruption or hurt it was a change of walls coming down to show his true self. 

As the cold spring blossomed into a blistering summer the two greases continued their fake dating. Dally and Pony both holding true feelings but denying it in fear that the other did not. 

Tip toeing around each other both fearful to confess but still acting as if they we're married the gang and practically the whole block had taken to  calling them Mr. & Mr. Curtis. A tribute to the late Curtis folks who they acted so unknowingly like.

Pony was seen most days cooking dinner and even lunch on some, all from his mothers cook book. Dallas helping in the cooking or just keeping the red headed teen company. Nights they weren't in the kitchen cooking the two were out on the town, watching movies drive in or in theatre or caught up in a fight somewhere. Common to see them with busted lips and split brows, bruises littering them like misquito bites in the summer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Word Count - 408