1

Tris POV

I've been feeling awful in the mornings lately, and I just finished telling Christina all my symptoms. Puking, light headedness, and I'm always tired. It's been going on for about a month, and Christina is insisting I go to the doctor. I told her I didn't want to go, but she said she'd come with me.

So here we are. At the doctor. Sitting in the freezing cold waiting room. A nurse peeks out from a door and calls out "Tris Prior!" so we follow her back.

She has me sit on a rather uncomfortable bed, with a ridiculously loud sheet of paper over it. She takes my blood pressure and checks my heart, writes down my symptoms then tells me to sit tight in a voice that sounds too sincere, as if I'll break.

At one point that might have been true, but not anymore. The door opens again about ten minutes later and the doctor comes in.

"Hello, Tris. So I see that you've been having some odd symptoms?" She asks me.

"Yes. I haven't felt very sick other than that, and it's been going on for about a month."

Dr. Andreeva asks me if I have missed a period. I think about it. Crap. I have. Last week I was due, but I didn't notice until now.

"Okay, Tris, I'll be right back." She says as she leaves. I can hear her soft footsteps echoing on the barren hallway.

I hate the way hospitals are so sterile. Is all the white really necessary? What about the smell of bleach everywhere? The cold temperatures? I feel Chris putting her hand on mine while we wait. She does this often when I get stressed, as if to remind me that I'm not alone.

Dr. Andreeva returns with a small, long, rectangular box. On all four sides it reads "pregnancy test".

"Okay. I'm going to have you pee in this cup, then stick this in it." She holds up the box. "Then, if there's any urine left bring it to me and we'll run some tests on it just to be extra sure.

"There's a bathroom just down the hall, third door on the right. You can take your friend if you want."

So me and Chris walk down the hall and go to the third door on the right. I pee in the cup and Christina comes in for emotional support.
I show her the positive test. We head back to the room and I tell show her that it's positive.

¨Okay, so we're going to see how far along you are. If you wouldn't mind lifting up your shirt so I can see your stomach. I'm going to put a gel on your stomach. It's going to be very cold. You will be able to see your baby on the screen over there.¨ she points to a small blob.

"I'll be damned. That's so cool. I'm not sure how to feel about this."

Now I've got to tell Tobias.

On the train

"How will I tell Tobias?" I ask Christina quietly, barely audible. I suddenly have the urge to cry, although I'm not sure why. It's not like me and Tobias are teenagers making stupid choices.

She tells me to calm down, that it's just the hormones from the pregnancy. "It's okay, Tris It's going to be okay." she says. I feel childish as she calms me down. She gives me a huge hug and eventually I chill out. She walks with me until I get to my door, and then she leaves to go on about her day.

Not too long after that, I hear Tobias open the door. I'm sitting on the floor, staring at a wall, hoping that he won't freak out. Tobias comes in and asks me if I'm ok. I say I'm fine, but there's something I need to tell him.

"Okay, what is it Tris?" He says, gentle voice.

"Okay um, I'm not quite sure how to tell you this. So I'm just going to spit it out. You should probably sit down."

He arches an eyebrow at me and sits next to me on the floor. "What is it, Tris?" He asks

"I'm pregnant."

I watch as his eyes double in size. "Okay, I'm glad I'm sitting down. I- wow that's a huge change."

I chuckle. "Yeah, it certainly is. I'm kinda really excited, though. We get to be parents!"

"This is so incredible, Tris. I can't wait. But to be honest, I'm a little scared. Of being like... him." Tobias says.

"Don't be. You'll never be like him. You'll be the best father a kid could hope for. The fact that you're worried about it, proves that you won't be. And don't you dare ever think otherwise.'' I tell him. "Marcus was a horrible person, and Evelyn wasn't much better. We can be the change. We've got this."

I plant a kiss on his lips, slightly chapped from this Chicago wind. Then we eat some dinner and go to sleep.

Okay so about the part where I said "teenagers making stupid decisions" about Tris getting preggo, I'm not judging pregnant teens. I just think (in my opinion) that waiting until you've at least had one year out of high school before becoming a parent is a good idea. Probably better if you wait until you're done with college and have a steady income and relationship. It's a lot of responsibility that most teens aren't ready for.

If you made the decision to have unprotected s€x and/or chose to keep the baby, that's great! Good for you, it's your life. I just feel like that might be something that Tris would say and fits with her view on life atm.