Chapter 3

Christina and I grabbed some food for lunch and did some shopping. She tried to make me get a skin-tight maternity dress, but I refused. That's her thing, not mine.

Chris and I go back to my place and she helps me tidy the apartment. She got super excited to show me a specific way to fold clothes to save space, and added on about two extra hours just refolding everything. I thank her and she goes home to Will.

"See ya, Chris," I say

"Bye, good luck!" she replies

"Thanks!"

The next morning

When I wake up, I head straight for the toilet and throw up. I guess I woke Tobias, because I heard the bathroom door open, I felt a hand rub my back and hold back my hair.

"How are you feeling today?" he asks me.

"Well, do you see my predicament?" I say, referring to myself throwing up.

He gives me a look of pity and says "Come on. Training starts in an hour and we still need to set up for knife throwing."

"Okay, lemme get ready first."

"Don't take too long." He says.

I reply "I'm not Chris, geez! I'll be out in a few minutes."

The nausea ebbs away slowly but not completely. I try to tame my hair. The air is humid today, and the wispies around my face are frizzy, and they refuse to smooth down. I sigh in defeat and leave.

In the training room

Initiated file in as we finish setting up the knives.

"Alright, initiates listen up," Four says. "Today we will be throwing knives. Six, will you please go stand in front of the target for me?"

"Of course I will," I say in Six mode.

"Wait, you're not going to throw knives at her, are you?" asks Paige, an Abnegation transfer.

"Oh, but I am." Four says. There's a ghost of a grin that passes over his face.

I walk over to the target and stand in front of it. I look him in the eye, I could get lost in those blue eyes

Four says "I'm going to throw these knives, and tell you exactly where they will land. This one will land next to her right arm."

It does.

"This one, above her head."

It does.

"And finally, this one will nick her right ear."

The knife flies from his hand, spinning on its course, and nicks my ear. The initiates' jaws drop.

"Hang on, why did you nick her ear? And second WHY IS SHE SMILING LIKE THAT?!" Paige asks.

"He nicked the same ear during my initiation. It's like a tradition. Five years in a row." I tell her.

"Wait, he was your instructor?" Cici asks.

"Yup"

Some look suspicious, as if I would lie about such a thing. Some look in awe, probably wondering if they want to do it in their future. And some are just surprised.

"Okay. everyone get a few knives and start throwing." Four says. So they do.

Later, in the pit

"You guys still did that? You still threw the knives at her?" asks a relatively astounded Zeke. He finds it odd that it's become a tradition. I don't blame him.

"Mhm," Tobias and I grunt at the same time.

A few years ago a stage was installed in the center of this building. It gets used on occasion for music concerts, important announcements, etc. Tobias grabs my hand as we walk up the stairs to announce my pregnancy. 

The Dauntless whoop and cheer.

"Chill out, we didn't say anything yet," Tobias says, making them laugh. "Okay, can I get a drumroll please..."

They all pound their feet.

"We're going to have a baby!!" Then, they start to cheer even louder, which I didn't think was possible. The initiates that showed up look stunned.

There are screams, shouts, congratulations, and lots of confetti (I don't know where from, or who planned it, or they knew). "I think that they're excited for us," I whisper into Tobias's ear.

"Yep" he responds

A/N

So some of you probably noticed that Tobias' character isn't quite what he is in the books and movies. I'd like to think that with some time and a little less trauma, he could be happier, funnier, and more comfortable with showing emotions and being himself with Tris. I did this because that's how I am when I really get to know someone. My true colors start to show, and I don't hold back quite as much from my close friends.

So I'll shut up about me now, that's just an explanation as to why his personality is a little different. I'll try not to veer too far off the path 😂