ೃ⁀➷𝘓𝘰𝘪𝘥: 𝘣𝘪𝘰𝘭𝘰𝘨𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘭 𝘣𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘩𝘨𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘳

╔══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╗

"Starting today, you'll be my daughters. But if anyone asks, you've always been my daughters. Got it?"

What's his angle? His specific need for biological children?

Whether or not it was for nefarious purposes, Lia still felt this burning need to know. Call it curiosity, or nosiness if you're feeling cynical.

"Make sure to address me as father."

An escaped convict? Though Lia imagined he'd be more malnourished and less...normal looking.

Honestly, she wouldn't be surprised if she searched his name on Google and the first result was his face plastered on a stock photo.

That is, if Google existed and Loid Forger was his actual name.

Forced to go the run from the government for knowing too much? His generic European features (blue eyes, blonde hair etc.) would be useful if that were the case. To blend in with the crowd among other things.

Or maybe, he knows too much because he's with the government. Part of an intelligence unit, like a secret agent or a-

"Lia?"

"Huh?" She snapped out of her conspiracy theories to realise she hadn't answered yet.

"Oh, yeah. Sure thing...father."

The word left a bitter taste in her mouth.

"Papa!"

"Adequate enough."

They climbed the steps, Lia taking two at a time, just because she could. Anya saw her do this and tried copying her, without much success, almost falling headfirst back down the flight of stairs.

She would've too, if Lia hadn't grabbed her arm as she was tilting backwards.

"Are you girls okay?" Asked an old lady, leaning over the edge of the banister.

"I apologise for the disturbance."

"Ooh I don't mind, they're just being children. I remember when my grandkids were that age..."

Loid cleared his throat awkwardly, not wanting to swap fake stories of children he met half an hour ago. "We're the Forgers, we just moved in today."

Anya bounded up to her, almost instantly recovering from her brush with death (or major concussion). "I'm Anya, I've been Papa's child for a very long time."

Lia twitched, trying not to laugh. Just to mess with Loid and gauge his reaction she added, "hi I'm Lia and this is our biological birth giver." She gestured to Loid while fighting a snicker.

Loid's eye twitched.

"Oh my," the woman covered her mouth - too stunned to speak. She was sneaking glances at his stomach like she expected another baby to pop out.

Which is retrospect was rather laughable. Unless this universe was the omegaverse, male pregnancy just wasn't physically possible.

At least, she hoped not. That was another can of worms she'd rather not open.

"Haha they're such imaginative girls. Come on, let's go inside." He hurried them in quickly and shut the door in the shocked woman's face.

When they were inside, he leaned against the door in evident relief.

"This is Anya's house?"

"Are you paying rent?" Lia teased.

"What's rent?"

"Yes, this is your house now," Loid interrupted. It was a blatant lie but satisfied Anya as she ran around enthusiastically.

"Tellyvision!" She cheered.

"Go ahead and turn it on."

A television...

It's...a box. A very underwhelming box. Lia didn't know if she should be disappointed she was right or not.

It was in colour at least so she knew she couldn't be that far in the past.

Again, hints point towards somewhere around the 1960s. Sure, colour tv was invented around the 1930s but consumers didn't have access to it until the 1950s. They then didn't become commonplace until the 1960s.

So unless Loid was secretly mr moneybags (which the average sized flat also didn't reflect), the time period must be in that range.

"Big sister! Come watch spy wars with Anya," she whined, dragging her over to sit down in front of the tv.

"The title sounds like a rip-off Star Wars," she joked.

Anya looked at her, confused.

"What's-"

Lia cut her off. "It's fine, you wouldn't get it,"

- ̥۪͙۪˚┊❛ 3 minutes later ❜┊˚ ̥۪͙۪◌

Should she be worried why Anya was so fascinated by guns?

3 minutes into the show and they'd said the phrase 'pistol with silencer" about 10 times to which Anya always responded by pumping her fists.

"I'm going out for a bit. Stay here and watch the show."

"An adventure!" Anya cried out. Lia didn't think it would be much of an adventure but she did want to know where he was going so soon after adopting them.

If he was up to something, now would be a convenient time to lay the groundwork.

"It's not an adventure."

"Why can't we come with you? Are you going to the casano?"

"Casino," Lia corrected.

"W-what? I'm going shopping. Where do you get these ideas from?" Finally mr cool, calm and collected was caught off guard.

"Should you be leaving us alone right after we left an orphanage?" Lia slyly changed the subject.

"We'll be really lonely," she announced dramatically and nudged Anya to signal her to play along, "right, Anya?"

"Anya is really sad." She wiped away fake tears.

"Are you really going to deprive this poor orphan of a childhood?" Lia shoved the crying Anya in front of Loid, ignoring how she was technically also an orphan.

Perhaps she should've though twice about guilt tripping him. She might even regret it...one day.

Not today though.

Loid just let out a sigh of resignation.

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝