3. Can we skip the formalities?

The sound of voices mingling in the kitchen halted Audra's movement through the hallway. She combed her fingers through her knotted hair and adjusted her silk blouse to cover her chest.

"Stop hiding in the hallway and come help with dinner."

Audra stood in the doorway and folded her arms over her chest. Her mother continued chopping vegetables with the proficiency of a Michelin chef. Auburn hair pulled back into a bun so tight it gave her a facelift. She slid the choppings from the board with a knife and into the boiling pan on the cooker.

"I see that you returned the jewellery he gave you." Her mother pointed the knife at Audra's bare wrist. "Is that where you stayed last night?" Her eyes scanned her daughter's dishevelled attire with a look of disdain.

"Liana, please. I'm not in the mood for this conversation." Audra stared at her wrist instead of her mother. It's been a long time since she'd called her parents Mum or Dad. It was best to tell them as little as possible about her situation.

She didn't feel a connection with any of them, but that was her own doing. For the past eight years, she'd isolated herself and lost all her friends to a man she no longer loved. She gave up so much of herself to be with him, one thing she'd never do for any man again.

Another, reason why it was best to stay away from Jamie Halston.

The whistling kettle broke through the silence, neither having the energy to argue amongst themselves. "Tea?" Liana asked, busying herself with taking out china cups and a sugar spoon. The hot drink, a truce in the family.

Audra nodded and sat down at the small table by the window, elbow resting on the varnished wood as she looked out at the back garden.

"I don't know why you don't apologise to him." Liana places a cup in front of Audra and sits across from her. "You're so damn stubborn." She shook her head, her well-manicured nails tapping the magazine cover before opening it.

"There's nothing to apologise for." Audra stared at the tiny bubbles swimming on top of her tea. She wrapped her hands around the cup, the heat against her skin burning. The sting took her mind off the real reason she left and returned home.

In the corner of her eye, the door swung open and in walked her younger brother, Drew Wilkes. He wiped a sheen of sweat off his forehead and swept his dark hair off his face. The tick in his jaw flared every time his gaze fell on Audra. He scraped the chair back to sit down and angled his body towards his mother, one hand draped over the table.

Audra tensed, the room going silent as she stared at her brother's fist clenching. She knew it would take time to rebuild her relationship with her family, but Drew didn't want to connect with her. They weren't close growing up, but maybe as adults, they could be someday.

"Thought you'd gone back to Cal." Drew cocked his head and tapped his knuckles on the table. He flicked through the recipe magazine, ripping the edge of a page he pulled with too much force. "How long has it been now?" He looked up at the ceiling and nodded. "Three weeks. Deja vu? We've been here before, haven't we?"

Audra shifted in her seat. She glanced at Liana and then back to her brother. The tea in her hands was cold, the burn no longer distracting her from the conversation. Drew was right. It wasn't the first time they'd been there.

Eight years ago, she sat at this table with no intention of going back to cal, but he convinced her he'd changed. Audra foolishly got back with him. She refused to make the same mistake twice.

"I should go wash up." Audra stuttered under her brother's piercing gaze. She didn't dare glance back at her moody brother or tired mother.

A heavy sigh left her lips as soon as she got into the confines of her bedroom, her body collapsing on the unmade bed. It was untouched, pale blue walls still the same from her childhood. There was even clothes in the wardrobe from her teen years. She riffled through her bag in search of her phone.