5. Hopefully, we can get along tonight?

The tinny buzz of the needle slipping off the vinyl record filled the room. Silver knives and forks clinked in Audra's hand as she followed her brother setting the placemats at the table. The cream lace cover hid the oak surface and ring marks beneath it. Liana was a sentimental woman, only replacing things when broken. Something she couldn't do with Audra.

Drew's shoulders tensed, a line settling on his forehead. "Why is he even coming? He's never bothered before." He tossed the last placemat and slammed his palm on the table, empty glasses trembling in his wake.

Audra flinched, hesitating her next move. Her hand hovered over the discarded placemat before she plucked up the courage and straightened it up. "I'm sure you can be civil for one evening." The knife slipped from her grasp and clattered to the floor. Shocked by her sudden response and the silence in the room, she crouched down to retrieve the knife under the table.

Rising from the floor, she swept the hair out of her face and glanced at her brother. He ignored her and walked to the worn-out old record player, returning the needle to the centre. The same song started again, the track reminding her of every dinner party her parents made her sit through growing up.

"I know it's not ideal, but Sol's car is still in the garage. How can I not invite him? He's driving thirty minutes with his mother." Liana struck a match against the box and lit three white candles on the table. She rubbed a calming hand down Drew's arm, the scowl on his face softening and the tension in his shoulders lessened.

It had been years since Audra had sat at the table. Each dinner came with expectations. She'd never met them.

"Really, Audra?" Liana turned to face her and crossed her arms over her chest, eyes scanning her daughter's outfit. "You're still wearing that old dress? I told you to borrow something from my wardrobe."

Audra smoothed the faint creases out of her favourite yellow dress and pushed the thin straps back over her shoulders. It was the third time that week she'd worn it, the only formal dress she managed to pack in a rush.

She was still debating whether or not to venture back to his to get the rest of her stuff. The small suitcase she packed didn't allow for all her things and was limited when travelling by coach home.

"It's the only dress I have that's nice enough for dinner."

Drew shook his head and exited the dining room. Audra wished her father was there to keep the peace, but he'd missed his flight home and wouldn't be there till tomorrow. Audra and Liana were both good at pushing each other away.

"It's hardly appropriate, darling." Liana traced the open back and pinched the edge of the cutouts on the side of her ribs. "Why don't you put on a cardigan, cover that mark." She jabbed a pointy nail at the thin scar lining Audra's collar bone and left shoulder.

Biting her tongue, Audra jerked away from her mother's touch before she could get any closer. Her heart drummed against her chest, breath picking up the pace along with her legs as she rushed to the upstairs bathroom. The lock clicked shut behind her, vision blurring. She wrapped her fingers around the cold porcelain sink and leaned against it. All she needed to do was count and focus.

The dripping water from the tap brought her back to her surroundings, the fresh linen scent invading her senses and making her feel sick. She looked up at her reflection in the mirror. Dark circles hung under her eyes, skin pale and lips chapped. Audra traced the scar, the motion reminding her of the tip of Jay's curved nose gliding along with it like he was connecting dots and trying to figure out how it got there. He didn't ask, but she knew it was something he wanted to know.