9. Something there

Jay collapsed in the office chair and opened up his laptop. He stared at his reflection on the blank screen and released a sigh. He felt his body pulled in different directions lately, his head telling him to stay focused on his career and heart pushing him to pursue Audra.

He glanced at the calendar tacked to the wall, red crosses counting down the days till his big event. Heavy hands landed on his shoulders, his body jumping out of its seat. "Jesus, Jen." He leant back on the edge of the desk and folded his arms over his chest.

Jen shrugged and sat down in the chair next to him. "What's up with you?" She busied herself with unwrapping the sandwich from her lunchbox, her gold wedding band glimmering in the sunlight.

"Thinking." Jay nodded in thanks as she slid a cup of coffee to him. He opened the lid, the scent of vanilla calming him. "You know, about the expo." He avoided her gaze, hoping she wouldn't pick up on anything. She had a way of reading people that both scared and amazed him.

"You might be dumb, but I'm not." She dropped the sandwich and spun around in the squeaky office chair to face him. "You left with that girl."

Taking a sip of his coffee, he winced as it burnt his tongue. "Audra, you mean Audra." He clicked his tongue and picked at the label on his cup.

Jen sighed and placed a gentle hand on his knee, the touch brief but there as her hand retreated. "I know." She nodded her head and went back to her half-eaten lunch.

They didn't say anything for a while. Jen picked the lettuce from her sandwich, waiting for him to sort through his thoughts. She'd grown used to his silence, knowing he'd speak when he wanted or needed to. Jay was a lot like Bobby in that respect, both too caught up in their heads that she feared they'd explode.

Jay was more sensitive than Bobby, she could tell. She never forgot their first meeting, troubled teen acting the part bestowed upon him. His eyes gave him away every time, always searching for something in others. Things he'd wished people searched for in him. Bobby and Jay were like two rams butting heads in the beginning, but they pushed each other in ways she couldn't. So she stayed quiet, waited for them to come to her.

"I like her a lot."

She hummed. "I know, but maybe it's just a nostalgic crush?" Jen snapped her lunch box closed and slid it to the side, her attention fixed on Jay. Even though he probably thought this over, she wanted to help him think from a different perspective. Be the voice of reason.

He shook his head. "There's something there. I can tell she feels it too, but she's holding back." A deep line settled on his forehead at the thought, his chest tightening. "I like being around her, you know. She gets comfortable around me and lowers that wall for a second, feels right."

His hands moved as he described his feelings. The thought of Audra's soft touch and gentle voice carried in the wind. The way she tucked her short blonde hair behind her ears and the subtle scent of vanilla that lingered in her wake. Even the way she stole glances at him when she didn't think he noticed made him weak at the knees.

Jen remained quiet, one name she didn't want to speak sitting on the edge of her tongue. She wished Bobby was here to soften the blow, but she needed to protect Jay and remind him of the cons. "Are you sure about her?" She pushed herself out of the chair and gathered her lunch box up.

"I know she feels something too."

"I don't know, Jay. Just be careful. We all know how complicated it is with her brother." Jen reached out for him, but he flinched away from her touch. "Jay, come on, be reasonable here." She grabbed the back of his shirt and pulled him back. "If Drew finds out."