Chapter 70: Stratagems

With the checkpoint so heavily guarded, it has become a pipe dream to enter Saint Empire with their current strength. Their 3 days of traveling on the back of the land wyrm have allowed them some form of recovery, but since life force isn't as quickly recovered as Ki they are mere at 70% capacity on average, and it isn't nearly enough to break through before the SS rankers behind catch up to them.

The previous time when they had to quickly recuperate, they could make use of the scent of the 3 treasured plants to improve the effect of their recovery pills, but riding on a mount made this method an impossibility. A person's vitality is dependent on his life force and life span. Though Kairos' group did not harm their life capacity and thus shorten their life span, when they infused soul energy into their bodies and into their weapons, they are actually hurting themselves to gain power. It is akin to burning up one's body to create heat, though the truth is, their method incomparably efficient.

Having drained of their life force in their previous battle, every part of their body seemed to have wilted, but for Jones, he also had to deal with the physical damage from the backlash. Jones had gone over his limits by attacking 3 times during the Northern Sword Saints array, where even once would knock a person unconscious, the amount of rebound he received can only use the word 'immense' to describe.

Yet, right now...

"Hey, come on, let's just rush into the checkpoint and break through it with a blast" Jones stood up on the back of the land wyrm, wholly unaffected by its wobbling run and completely pumped up for a fight. Right now, besides Vouno that had a relaxing time during the battles, Jones is the only other person who is at 100%. Comparing to the others who had used less energy and still not yet recovered, they rolled their eyes at the difference of their cultivating talents. Kairos is on the other extreme having only recovered half of his energy after 3 whole days. Everyone ate the heavenly scent pill to regain their strength, but the same pill seemed to work the least efficiently on him.

"A problem with my bloodline," Kairos thought for a moment before redirecting his attention to their current options.

"...And when those SS rankers behind us caught up while we were fighting through the checkpoint?" Kairos answered Jones with a question and a raised eyebrow.

"Uhh... Right... Wait, what are we going to do then?"

"Our best chance now is to lead them on a chase until all of us reached full strength, and we'll break through in a single breath and run all the way into Saint Empire without stopping. But just in case, we will lead them towards the direction of the southern cavernous area. If it comes down to us being trapped, I have another plan we can use at that place."

Kairos knows that this tactic is a poor one at best. To lead their foes who have much higher cultivation than them on a wild goose chase is tedious, and dangerous. When they are so outnumbered, every twist and turn they make would significantly increase the risk of being surrounded.

However, they have few choices left now. Uncertain of how they are being tracked, they did not bother to try and lose their pursuers once again. To cover their tracks requires them to slow down, and that alone come with a risk that they could not afford.

They made a large turn and ran towards the south. They quickly entered a vast stretching plain where it should be free of enemies. But just after a short distance of traveling, they noticed more foes appearing at their front. Those enemies are not as powerful as the SS rankers chasing them, but their numbers alone would delay them long enough to be caught by their pursuers. At this critical junction, they could not afford to stop and fight.

Alan observing with his soul perception said, "They are diverting their troops over from the nearby cities to surround us, we wouldn't be able to continue leading them on a chase."