Chapter 5

Stefania sat waiting for her airplane to Rio.  She hadn't heard from Danielle in over 5 days, 7 hours and 35 minutes.  She was heartbroken and didn't want to do anything but talk to her best friend.  Even if it was to fight.  She just wanted to hear her voice.  She had taken to watching old episodes of station 19, just so she could see her and hear her voice.  Stefania was embarrassed to admit it, but she missed Dani so much.  She hoped she was ok; everything was silent on her socials. Chris hadn't heard from her nor had Barrett.  Chris said she was with Macey so at least she knew someone was watching out for her. 

Dani was at Macey's house.  They were planning out the final details of their road trip.  Macey wondered what was going on in her best friend's head. All she knew was that it wasn't good. Dani had come two days ago, simply saying "Let's drive to the Kentucky Derby together."  They had always talked about this road trip, but it was still a bit of a surprise.  But Macey was Dani's ride or die so she agreed. 

They sat at the kitchen table after the kids were put to bed. Dani was quiet and Dani was never quiet. She even talked in her sleep.  Macey's heart broke because Chris had told her a little bit about what was going on.  Macey had known Dani had liked girls and boys since they were in high school, even before Dani admitted it to herself.  Dani finally had the courage to come out to her parents in college and they were supportivish.  They kind of said to her that whatever she did in private was fine with them as long as she kept in private.  So Dani did, she never told her agent or her fans or really anybody.  Her friends of course knew, but that was it.  Macey knew her parents didn't mean to, but the shame that they caused stayed with Dani.

"D" Macey said.  Dani knew by the tone in her voice that Macey wanted to talk about what was going on, the sudden trip, the sadness, everything.  Dani couldn't yet. She just silently shook her head and kept reading the guidebooks on Tennessee.  "Call her, D. Just call her." Dani was silent, almost as if she didn't hear Macey but she did.  They continued in silence for a while.  Planning the route, pointing out things on the map, sending each other articles.  "She texts me every morning and night to check on you." That finally got her attention and Dani looked over at Macey. "She told me that you asked her not to contact her, but she knows your upset and blaming yourself. She said you're not in a good place and even though you don't want to be her friend anymore, she will always be yours." 

"Can I see them? the texts?" Dani looked over at Macey and was very surprised with her response. 

"No. You didn't want contact. If you want to see her text.  Text her yourself." Macey knew Dani responded to tough love, she always had. "I'm going to bed. See you in the morning."

Stefania had gotten off the plane in Rio and was looking for Leco. "you look like shit." Leco said in his direct way.  

"Thanks, I feel like shit. Danielle and I are in a weird place." This felt very familiar.  Last summer, after Danielle had broken off the start of their new relationship, Stef escaped to Rio and Leco yet again.  Stefania get in the car and felt her phone buzz. -I'm still your friend. I'm just trying to save you from me.- "Fanculo" Stefanie cursed under her breath. Leco looked over at her with a questioning look.  "Danielle.  She took a break from me after telling me she still loved me but she wants to save me from her. I hate this drama." Stefania wrote back. -Dani, We're fucking adults. Can we please act like it? Call me tomorrow so we can talk. Please. - With that she turned off her phone and smiled at Leco. "So, my friend. Tell me what's been going on."