Storm // Riley Herbst

TW: Heavy make-out session
__________________

A loud thunderous boom woke me up out of a deep sleep. Rain hit the window harshly as lightning lit up the dark bedroom. I sat up, looked at the clock and groaned. It was barely after midnight, which means I still have a long night ahead of me when I have an early wake up call.

I looked over at the bed beside me and saw that Ty was completely knocked out and dead to the world. I swear he could sleep through anything and I was slightly jealous of that fact.

Rolling out of bed, I grabbed my phone and left our shared bedroom. His family invited me along on their vacation to Colorado on the rare off week that we had. We planned on getting up at 6 to go fishing before spending the day doing water sports. Going to bed early was a struggle, but if I didn't get my sleep, I was a mean, mean person.

I quietly walked down the stairs and went into the kitchen, flipping on the light and jumped when I saw a figure walk out of the shadows.

"You scared me!" I grabbed my heart that was beating wildly out of my chest when Ty's sister, Lainey, walked into the room.

"Sorry," she frowned, holding onto a blanket tightly. "I hate storms," she whispered, holding the blanket closer to her.

I wanted to wrap my arms around her, to hold her tightly and to take away all of the worries and fears. But I couldn't and my heart shattered. Lainey couldn't know how much I was in love with her. I couldn't do that to Ty... he'd kill me.

"Don't be sorry. Are you going to be okay though?" I went to the fridge and pulled out a bottle of water and handed her one as well.

"Yeah, I will."

A loud crack made Lainey jump, dropping the bottle of water and suddenly we were surrounded in darkness as the power went out.

"Riley," she cried, panic clear in her voice and I ran to her, grabbing her up in my arms and walking us into the living room where I pulled her onto the couch and onto my lap.

"I got you, Lainey, okay? You're safe with me." Without thinking, I kissed her forehead and she gasped in shock. "Sorry," I mumbled as embarrassment ran through me.

Lainey shook her head and grabbed the front of my shirt, resting her forehead against mine. "Do it again," she whispered in a plea, kissing her forehead as she asked, softly, holding her to me as she relaxed in my arms. "You have no idea how much that calms me down."

"How about this?" I asked, titling her chin up so she could look at me. I know the room was dark, but the storm outside was bright enough to where I could see her blue eyes.

I leaned forward, capturing her lips with mine when she gasped. I pulled back to look at her when suddenly she grabbed the back of my neck and crashed her lips to mine. I sighed, opening my mouth to hers when she whimpered when my tongue brushed against hers.

I couldn't believe this was happening. The girl I've been crushing on for years was kissing me back with as much force and passion, causing warmth and love to flood my soul.

"Lainey," I whispered, my voice raspy and full of need. She shifted in my lap, straddling my hips and held my face in her hands.

"I've always wanted you, Riley," she rocked against me, crashing her lips to mine and kissed me with all her might. My hand landed on her hip as my other one cradled her face.

"I've always wanted you, too. I just didn't act on it because I was scared of Ty killing me." She laughed then, sitting back on my thighs and brushed my hair out of my face.

"Who cares what he thinks. I've always had a crush on you and right now, this is the perfect distraction for me." Thunder cracked again, the lights flickering on and then off again. She shivered in my arms and I pulled her close to me.

"I promise I'm always going to be your protector, through real storms and life storms. I love you Lainey, I always have and I always will." Lainey sighed, kissing my lips and gave me a breathtaking smile.

"I love you, too, Riley."

I linked my fingers with Lainey, pulling her down beside me on the couch, holding her tightly in my arms as I threw the blanket over us. I kissed her forehead as she settled in and sighed.

"You and me until the end." She whispered, pulling my hand up to her lips and kissed my palm.

"Or until Ty kills me." We both laughed as sleep overpowered everything, both of us drifting off.

No matter what storm came next, I was always going to be by her side.