Good Luck Charm // Chase Elliott

"Okay, you can do this

"Okay, you can do this." I gave myself a little pet talk while walking into the fanzone in the infield at Daytona. Chase Elliott was doing an appearance and I knew this would be the only chance I got to meet him.

I don't do well in crowds, so the fact that I'm actually showing up for this event meant I was determined to meet him because of how much he means to me. I know it's crazy to say this, but Chase has helped a lot with my anxiety issues when it comes to being social and out in crowds. I'll never tell him that, but since being his fan, I've met some great friends that I wouldn't normally have.

If he's able to climb into a car every week and go 200 mph every weekend, then I'm capable of going to a fan event.

I pulled down my NAPA hat, not making eye contact with anyone while I walked through the growing crowd. I hugged my diecast tighter, the one from Dover where he won. It was the first race I was able to attend without leaving early due to my social anxiety. I couldn't believe he won and I was there to see it. That win meant more to me than his first one.

I finally made it to the stage, but I was unprepared for the crowd. I could barely see over the heads of everyone in front of me. I really had no idea that Chase could draw in a crowd like that. I know he's popular, but this?

This was too much.

I can't do it.

I had to get out of here.

I stepped backwards, allowing the anxiety to wrap around me like a vice when I shouldn't and try to push it away. I began to shake so much that I dropped my diecast into the crash as tears began to make their presence known.

"Let me get that for you, darling." A hand reached out and picked up the diecast and I couldn't breath. I know that southern accent from anywhere. I looked up into the brown eyes of Chase Elliott.

He was standing right in front of me, holding out my diecast.

"Would you like me to sign this?" Chase smiled at me brightly as I barely whispered yes. I couldn't believe this. He was standing right in front of me and no one around us even noticed. I took a deep breath, allowing his presence to calm me and I was a bit surprised that it did.

"I was there, at Dover when you won. It was my first race."
"Oh yeah? Well, maybe you were my good luck charm there." He winked at me, handing back the diecast.

I swear my heart just leaped out of my chest when he did that.

"Maybe, this is my second race, so I really hope you win."
"I hope I win, too, and if I do, I want you in victory lane. Gotta share it with my good luck charm." I swooned as he placed his arm around my shoulder. "Selfie?" He pulled out his phone and snapped a pic. I smiled at the camera, not believing my luck right now. "One more," he moved in closer and the next thing I knew, he placed his lips on my cheek. "I'll see ya in victory lane." Chase gave me one more kiss before disappearing into the crowd again.

Everything happened so fast that I couldn't catch my breath.

I didn't stay for the fan event, not wanting the size of the crowd to overwhelm me and to ruin this moment. So I took a long walk back to my campsite, looking down at the autograph and touching my cheek, like this whole thing was just a dream.

chaseelliott: Can't wait to visit victory lane with my new good luck charm ;)

"So, what do you say? Wanna visit me in victory lane?" I gasped in shock, both by the pictures Chase just posted of us and by the fact that Chase Elliott was standing right in front of me. He must have followed me on his golf cart.
"I would love to!"
"Really?"
"Of course, I have faith in you Chase, this is your race to win."
"Good, because I can't be there without my good luck charm." Chase wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into a tight embrace and then ever so slowly, he pressed his lips to mine.