chapter 8

When the Blade entered the shop, the mood seemed to completely drop. It wasn't in an, oh, he's being angsty , kind of mood drop, it was an, oh, he's upset over something . Which was weird because none of the 5 villains that had come to the store had come in mad before. Tired? Sure, but not like they were out for a bounty. Well, maybe that's a bit much, he didn't actually look ready to kill, but it did make Tommy feel like he was going to be killed.

He didn't look upset, he just seemed like he wanted something. The Blade sat at the spot he sat at last time, the same seat Siren usually sits at. The contrast between when Siren sits there and when the Blade sits there was strange. When Siren sat there, there was a warm glow and an air of freshness, but when the Blade sat there, it felt like being near him would make you freeze. It could be the cold air around him or the fear you felt when you were near him but either way worked really.

"Black coffee." Tommy heard him say, he wouldn't have heard it if he hadn't been so focused on the Blade.

A little wary of the Blade's mood Tommy muttered a reply, "Alright, big man. I'll get that for you then." And he started on the coffee, every noise seemed to be amplified by the silence and the loudest noise was the sound of coffee dripping.

The clank of the coffee cup being placed in front of the Blade was also loud, and Tommy went to close the curtains instead of standing in silence in front of the Blade.

Tommy went back behind the counter and sat down, stretching a bit before tapping his fingers lightly on the counter, just lightly enough to not make any noise. He picked at his nails, not wanting to look at the Blade, it was already too awkward.

"What do you want from us, Tommy?" It was a question but his voice and the way he said it made it sound a lot more like a statement. Like it was a fact that Tommy needed something.

"What?" he asked, his head turning to the Blade. The Blade was looking at him in the eyes, or at least that's what Tommy assumed he was doing. Oh, so that was a serious question . "What do you mean?" genuine confusion laced in his voice.

"Why haven't you turned us in, Tommy?" the Blade asked, he had the same tone as he did for the last question he had, "What do you want us to give you?"

Tommy wasn't sure if it was safe to give an attitude to him, he was already upset and he wasn't sure how much he could push. He decided that it wouldn't kill him- literally or figuratively -to sigh. He looked around the room a bit. He found it hard to look someone in the eyes when they were upset, "What, you want me to turn you guys in or something?"

"No," the Blade responded, "but why wouldn't you? You don't have a reason to not turn us in."

"I don't have a reason to turn you in either." Even scared, he could only see that as a fact. None of them; Siren, Blade, 404, Sapnap nor Dream, none of them had done anything to warrant him turning them in. Even though they all did technically commit crimes, it wasn't like it was proof they were horrible people. Ranboo was technically lying about his age on legal documents so that they could stay in their apartment and be an intern at the agency. Not everyone who committed crimes was a horrible person, he was the last person who would say that. That and his legal documents are forged because they ran away from the orphanage. Ranboo was technically his guardian to the public, but no, they will not talk about that. "Why would I want anything from you?" He was more offended at the thought that he, the biggest man, would need help than he was scared of a confrontational Blade.

Now the Blade was the confused one, "Why do you make it sound like that is unreasonable, most people want something. So what do you want?" It was kind of comical, the tinge of confusion on top of his adamance that Tommy must want something from him.

"I literally could care less about getting something, it's my job to give you guys coffee. If he comes, I'm obviously going to serve him coffee," Tommy paused, "Or, well, tea, I guess."

There was a tense silence. "I'll take it. But don't think I'm not onto you." Techno said, and just like that, even though the tension wasn't fully gone, Tommy felt like he could breathe again.

He shrugged, "I don't know what to tell you, I mean, it's not like I care that you're onto me." He pursed his lips, "You guys are paying customers, I'm not going to kick you out." Neither of them commented on the fact that he made it sound like he only cared about them paying him. Tommy did mean that, well, that's what he thought he meant at least. Sometimes he struggled to get a grasp on what he wanted. Tubbo told him that, too. It's not that he didn't care for Siren, he just didn't think that there was a point in acting like he mattered more than he thought Siren mattered. "As long as you don't cause any problems, I could care less what you do."

The Blade scoffed at that, " As long as we don't cause any problems . You let Wi-- Siren come here all the time and you expect there to be no problems."

"I expect there to be no trouble , I guess that would be a better word for it. Siren came in here bleeding once, it's not the problems I'm worried about. Just don't mess up the restaurant, this is my livelihood and it will be hell to find another if this place gets destroyed because I decided to ignore labels."

"Yeah. Be careful whose labels you ignore, some villains aren't as nice as Siren is." The Blade warned, "Be careful of Siren, too, he could be more than expected."

"Is this victim blaming, are you gaslighting me Mr.The Blade?" Tommy asked, he didn't know what he was saying, but he knew those were bad things.

If not for the fact that the Blade had a monotone voice that made it harder for Tommy to imagine expressions for, he would think that the Blade was pretty confused and if the mask weren't there, he would look it, too. "Do you even know what half of those words?"

"Of course, I am the smartest person to ever grace this presence, I know everything." Tommy paused, "Even things I don't want to know. You don't either, trust me."

"Wha--"

"I said you don't want to know." The Blade took a sip of his coffee, slightly shaking his head in some sort of disappointment that he couldn't quite pinpoint yet this early in their relationship. Tommy let out a sigh of relief, the tension finally fully gone. Tommy is the biggest man, so of course, he would be able to solve all of life's problems.

A little bit later, after sitting in silence together, the Blade left, leaving a tip on the table. He didn't trust Tommy, but he wasn't a jerk.