chapter 18

When a crow flew into the shop window holding a bill in its beak, he knew something was up. Tommy looked at the crow in shock, it was definitely one of the Angel's crows, because why else would a crow come to the shop with money. Sometimes he forgot that he, other avians, and actual birds couldn't see glass, the only reason he hadn't walked into a wall of the coffee shop was because there was a door knob and the addition of the curtains.

He didn't discriminate between heroes and villains, so why would he not accept a crow who was also a paying customer? He opened the door, ready to take the money and get the crow 's plain donuts and that would be that. Of course it didn't work out that way though, because he heard the sound of wings flapping. Multiple sets of wings. It was a flock of wings, actually. He looked up to see a flock of crows flying towards the shop before landing in front of the shop. Tommy didn't even know how to react to that, and he couldn't react to it either 'cause not only was the murder there, the Angel landed shortly after. It was even more startling, because somehow Tommy didn't even notice he was there. The Angel had mastered the art of being extremely silent and for what?

Tommy looked up at the Angel, he closed his eyes for a moment and opened them again. No, it was definitely real, what he thought just happened actually happened. He didn't have the energy to be embarrassed by reality checking in front of the Angel. Instead of actually saying anything, he bent down to take the bill from the crow's beak and walked inside to get the plain donut holes for the crows. When he checked how much it was worth, he was surprised to see it was a 20. Where the hell was a crow getting a 20 from. Actually, how did a crow get money at all?

He went back to the door and dropped the bag of donuts in front of them. He looked at the Angel.

"She wanted a pumpkin spice latte." Tommy blinked at him. He was too tired for this and underpaid, he did not need to question life. He huffed a breath and went back inside. How the hell was a pumpkin spice latte made again? Was a pumpkin spice latte even good for a crow? He couldn't be bothered to find out.

He barely scraped one together, he couldn't really remember the steps, but what would a crow know about a good pumpkin spice latte? He went back outside and placed the pumpkin spiced latte on the floor, seeing the other crows finishing up the donuts. The crow that gave him the money hopped to the cup that read 'Crow' before watching her dunk her whole head into the cup. Tommy's jaw dropped slightly.

"Her name is Amy, by the way." Tommy looked at the Angel.

He deadpanned at the Angel and then looked at the crows, he spread his hands out in front of him, gesturing to all the crows, "You're not telling me that all of them have names right?" When the Angel stayed quiet, Tommy gave him a look of disbelief, "Right?" "C'mon, seriously, there are so many crows!" He looked at the crows, there were so many crows that if you weren't paying attention you could be tricked into believing it was a completely pitch black area. Every inch of the space was filled with crows, and the only signifier that they were crows were the blinking eyes as they stared at Tommy. "How many are there?"

The Angel stayed silent, probably embarrassed about the amount, "Over... Over 3000." Tommy was in disbelief. He was speechless. He had no idea what to say. The door was still open, so one of the crows clearly thought that was an invitation to walk into the shop. Tommy's eyes followed the crow who looked to be half asleep as it hopped up to the nearest table. It looked into Tommy's eyes and then chomped the leg of the table. Tommy was half convinced that everything was a fever dream.

The Angel groaned a bit before walking into the shop and picking up the table, "I'm so sorry about Nap, she's American."

It all made sense. "Of course she is." Tommy looked at the crow, Knap, in the Angel's hands with squinted eyes, "I'm watching you." But while the door was left unintended, another bird walked in.

The Angel watched the bird, the bird flew onto the table silently. And then hell was released when the crow went on a... rant ? The crow continued to caw at the Angel, the Angel looked very tired. The Angel opened his mouth, then closed it. "I'm not translating all that." The Angel looked at Tommy and said in the most monotone voice, "Latte wants a cake pop."

" Latte wants a cake pop ?" The Angel pursed his lips and nodded, he looked to regret his choices.

"No sprinkles please. Latte really doesn't like sprinkles." Tommy had to keep reminding himself that he had decided to not question anything anymore.

He went behind the counter and got a cake pop and went back to 'Late', and pointed the cake part of the cake pop to the crow. The crow somehow swallowed it whole. Why would anyone order something only to not savor the taste. Do crows even have taste buds?

It was silent in the shop, no one knew what to say, ⅗ of them couldn't talk at all. Well, that was debatable, Late seemed really talkative. Late cawed at Tommy. "Please get these crows out of the shop."

He opened the door and the crows waited for them to leave. Somehow they knew what he meant and they all hopped out. It was really a fever dream.

It got worse.

When he looked forward, he saw a knife-wielding crow. Where the hell were the crows getting everything? "How do your crows have the most random things? 'Aimee' had a 20 and this crow," Tommy pointed to the crow holding a knife in its beak, "has a whole knife."

"I don't know, and I'm honestly afraid to ask."

The crow with a knife put it's head forward, probably expecting a pet or something. He lightly pet it's beak and it let out a satisfied caw.

When the Angel finally left with his murder, he felt like everything was a fever dream.