Twisted Wonderland & The Shell of Magic-Part 3

"Floyd!" Jade called out, walking quickly through the hallways of Night Raven College. "Floyd!"
  "What's all the yellin' for Jade?" Floyd asked, appearing around the corner.
  "It's Azul," Jade said. "One of the Octavinelle students found him out cold in the kitchen of the Lounge."
  "And?"
  Jade overlayed his hands. "Well I supposed you would have heard of it and been concerned."
  "Azul could have collapsed from any number of things," Floyd said, waving his hand to the side. "Like you said earlier, we were up late last night and Azul worked the hardest. Plus with this whole wish-granting service, he's probably got a lot of stress and collapsed from that."
  "I suppose you're right," Jade replied. "I forgot about that."
  "Azul will probably be fine tomorrow," Floyd said. "So, what do you think I should wish for?"
  "You mean, for the wish-granting service?" Jade asked. "I would encourage you, my brother, to not make any wishes to it. After all, there have been consequences to a few who've wished and no one knows why. At least Azul shares the terms and conditions of his contracts, even if there's some grey area."
  "Aw," Floyd whined. "What do you gotta spoil my fun?"
  "I am simply sharing my opinion," Jade replied calmly. "Of course, you may do as you please. I'll be heading down to the Lounge to check on Azul."
  " 'K!" Floyd exclaimed. "I'm gonna head back to the Sea Witch's room. Maybe I can get the necklace to react to my magic like it did for Azul's."
  With that, Floyd took off down the hall while Jade began walking towards the Hall of Mirrors.
~~~~~
  Azul was sinking into the darkness, tentacles once again wrapping around him to drag him down.
  You can't hope to win against me.
  The voice echoed around the water, making Azul grimace, his eyebrows pulling together.
  Even now, I grow more powerful with every wish that is sent in. My grasp around you tightens like a rope, ensnaring you.
  One of the tentacles wrapped around Azul's neck and he began to react, twisting violently, but his eyes remained closed.
  Your fighting spirit is impressive but it can not help you here. Your subconscious is my realm, Azul Ashengotto. You can not win here.
The tentacles continued to wrap around Azul, restricting his moments and dragging him farther into the darkness...
~~~~~
  Jade paused as he came to Azul's door. Maybe Floyd was right and he was making a bigger deal out of this then it was. But he couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong.
  "Azul? Are you awake?" Jade asked, knocking before twisting the knob. It only turned a little before meeting resistance. Locked.
  Jade frowned. How could Azul have locked the door if he was out cold? It was possible that someone had foolishly locked it behind them, but then the door wouldn't have closed properly. So that left one other option; someone else was inside the room.
  Jade withdrew his phone and sent off a message to Floyd. "Need you at Azul's room now. Bring your magepen."
  Floyd arrived a few minutes later. "What's with the urgent message?" He asked.
  "Someone's in Azul's room with the door locked," Jade explained. "And I suspect your Unique Spell will be invaluable."
  "Why? You can cast powerful defensive magic just as well as me." Floyd asked.
  "Call it a hutch." Jade said, withdrawing a key from his pocket.
  Inserting the key into the lock, Jade turned the knob again, this time feeling it give way as it unlocked, then pushed the door open.
  The shadows were long in Azul's room, casting everything in dark grey or deep black.
  Jade and Floyd both raised their magepens, a soft beam of light coming out of the jewels and they directed the lights towards Azul's bed.
  "Oh my," Jade said. "This is a surprise."
  Overblot Azul looked over at the twins and gritted his teeth. "Why must you two be in my way?" He asked, turning away from the bed and facing the twins. "Why haven't you succumbed to my wishes yet?"
  "Don't really feel like making a wish right now." Floyd said, readying his magepen.
  "What have you done to Azul?" Jade asked.
  "Not much," Overblot Azul replied. "But I'm going to tell you what."
  With that, he laughed and shot past the twins, heading down the hall.
  "Stay with Azul, Floyd!" Jade cried, hurrying after the Overblot form.
  Overblot Azul moved fast, faster than Jade expected and was surprisingly agile, dodging the spells Jade shot towards him.
  "Is this the best you can do?" Overblot Azul called back to Jade. "Honestly, it's embarrassing how weak you are."
  Jade fired off a stronger ice spell, catching two of Overblot Azul's tentacles, stopping him.
  "That's better!" Overblot Azul praised, as Jade walked over, holding his magepen towards Overblot Azul. "I can see why Azul keeps you around."
  "Tell me what you did to Azul," Jade said. "I'm afraid my patience is running thin with you."
  "..."
  Jade took a step closer. "I'm quite fond of octopus carpaccio," he threatened. "So, do enlighten me."
  "Please. It's a simple sleeping spell," Overblot Azul said. "Even a first-year could break it."
  "Did you get that Floyd?" Jade asked, knowing that Floyd had been listening through a phone call in his pocket.
  "Got it!" Floyd replied. "Have fun with the clean up!"
  The call ended and Overblot Azul looked at Jade. "Are you aware of magic circles?" He asked.
  Jade frowned slightly. "I fail to see what you're attempting to do."
  "Let's say I had drawn a magic circle and lured you into coming to the center of the circle, allowing myself to be caught so that I could use the magic circle?" Overblot Azul asked.
  Jade looked down as black ink spread across the carpet, forming a magic circle. "What is this?" He asked as the circle was completed and began to glow.
  "Just a spell that'll allow me to hide for a time," Overblot Azul said, as Jade dropped to his knees, breathing hard, his magepen falling out of his hand. "Don't worry. You'll get your body back once my wish has been granted."
  Reaching up, Overblot Azul removed a half completed golden spiral shell from around his neck and placed it around Jade's. "And as the Sea Witch's Shell nears completion, so will my wish." Overblot Azul said, the shell's spiraling indent glowing golden as it rested around Jade's neck.
  The shadows grew long and dark around the two, making the glow seem much brighter.
  "You know your role," Overblot Azul commanded. "Fill it out as outlined in the contract."
  Jade stood up woodenly. "Of course." He said, bowing his head at Overblot Azul before opening his eyes, revealing a golden glow in them.
~~~~~
  "Hey Azul, you awake?" Floyd asked, his finger close to Azul's cheek. "If you're not, I'm gonna poke you."
  "Ngh...don't touch me Floyd," Azul groaned, walking up. "Where's Jade?"
  "He took off after your Overblot form," Floyd said, leaning back. "He hasn't come back yet."
  "We should hurry after them," Azul said, standing up and nearly folding over. "Jade could be in trouble."
  "You're not in good shape Azul," Floyd warned. "I don't think you should be going anywhere right now."
  Azul straightened, adjusting his glasses. "...very well," he relented. "But I don't like the idea of Jade going off to fight alone."
  "He'll be fine," Floyd said, leaning forward on Azul's desk chair as Azul sat on the edge of his bed. "What happened to you? It's not really like you to suddenly collapse outta the blue."
  "Idia and Kalim were taken by my Overblot form," Azul explained. "And there's a new basement in Monstro Lounge. I believe that is where my Overblot form will be holding this wish-granting party in two days."
  "You mean Sea Otter and Firefly Squid made wishes?" Floyd asked.
  "Kalim did but Idia—Wait a moment," Azul said, looking at Floyd. "You remember Idia and Kalim?"
  "Sure I do," Floyd replied. "Firefly's always hiding in his room and Sea Otter is throwin' the best parties."
  "But why would you remember Idia and Kalim while Ortho and Jamil wouldn't?" Azul asked under his breath. "It doesn't make sense..."
  He reached up and held his head. "What is the angle here?" He wondered.
  Floyd didn't respond, but he did withdraw something from his pocket and held it out to Azul.
  "What's this?" Azul asked, looking up.
  "The only piece of the Sea Witch's Shell that was in the display," Floyd said, gently tossing the small gold shard up and down in the plastic bag. "The Headmage was trying to figure out who had taken it and I saw this piece on the floor."
  "So it was stolen?" Azul asked.
  "That's what the professors think," Floyd said, repocketing the piece. "So they're going to do a student-wide search."
  "When will this search begin?" Azul asked, just as the school bell rang out.
  "Right about now." Floyd said.
~~~~~
  As Azul and Floyd headed to the assembly hall, something grabbed them, pulling them into a classroom.
  "Riddle?" Azul asked, taking in the face of the one who'd grabbed them. "What's going on?"
  Riddle looked intently at Azul. "Have you made a wish?" He asked.
  "When there are no physical terms and conditions shown? You must have forgotten that I specialize in writing up deals, Riddle." Azul said, shaking his head.
  Riddle shoved Azul against the wall. "Did you make a wish?" He asked again. "Yes or no?"
  "No," Azul replied, surprised at Riddle. "What's gotten into you Riddle?"
  Riddle released Azul and turned to Floyd. "Same question," he said, ignoring Azul. "Did you make a wish?"
  "Can't think of anything I would wanna wish for," Floyd said. "So no."
  Riddle relaxed. "That's good."
  "What's gotten into you Riddle?" Azul asked again. "This is very odd behaviour coming from you."
  "...I'm not actually Riddle," Riddle said. "The real Riddle's standing in line for the search."
  "So what does that make you?"' Floyd asked.
  "Isn't it obvious Floyd?" Azul inquired, pushing his glasses up. "This is one of the Seven Treasures. I'd even go as far as to say your The Queen of Heart's Card, using the illusion of Riddle."
  "What?" Floyd asked, surprise on his face. "So little Goldfishy here isn't really Goldfish?"
  Azul nodded. "It would seem so," He said. "But why would a Seven Treasure be pulling the two of us out of this student search unless he knew something about the whole thing?"
  Riddle nodded. "Around half of the student body has sent in a wish, including Cater," the Queen's Card said. "Azul, you have something in your pocket concerning the terms and conditions?"
  "Hm?"
  "When you visited Idia's room, he printed off a sheet for you," a new voice spoke out, making Azul and Floyd turn. Leona was leaning on the door. "I'm surprised it wasn't taken away from you."
  "What are you doing here, Claw?" The Card asked. "I can handle this."
  "Yeah, but the wishes are going to get outta hand before the party starts so I figured you'd need some help," Leona said, stepping between Floyd and Azul to stand beside the Card. "Besides, Leoan left me no instructions to just sit back and watch."
  "Ah, the King of Beast's Claw," Azul identified. "So the legend about the Seven Treasures looking for masters is true then."
  "Smart guy," the Claw said, grinning. "I'm gonna like you."
  "Enough," the Card put in, sounding exasperated. "Azul. The sheet of paper?"
  Azul withdrew a sheet of paper and unfolded it, the Card and Claw leaning forward to see.
  "It's blank?" The Card asked in disbelief. "That's impossible."
  "Blank?" Azul inquired. "This is probably the most complex contract I've ever seen."
  "So he finished it then," the Claw said, leaning back. "Took him long enough."
  "He who?" Floyd asked.
  "The avatar for the Sea Witch's necklace," the Card replied. "Normally it would take on a female form, but as this is an all guys school..."
  "So then what's so important about this contract?" Floyd followed up.
"Because it will explain how the wishes work and what the terms and conditions are," Azul explained. "But I don't understand why you can't read it."
  "He must have made it so only his host could read it," the Card said. "Originally, only Riddle could see me."
  "Same with Leona," the Claw said. "But I was more flexible."
  Azul ignored the two of them and skimmed over the contract. Hundreds of names were already inscribed on the bottom and among them Azul spotted Kalim and Idia's names. And...
  "Why is Jade's name on here?" Azul asked. "He didn't send a wish in, did he?"
  "I wanna see!" Floyd cried, grinning.
  "If you can." Azul sighed, handing the paper over to Floyd.
  "Thanks!" Floyd cheered, accepting the paper.
  Azul turned back to the Card and the Claw. "Why don't the two of you explain what the Shell can really do?" He asked. "A convincing, powerful contract can't be the only thing."
  "It's not," the Card said. "But it plays a large role. The contract is something he's been working on for a few years. It allows him to grant any wish, but ensnares the wishers and gives him strength."
  "He was also collecting magical energy long before the contract was finished," the Claw said. "Ever since the Sea Witch, he's been a little obsessed with hypnotism."
  "Hypnotizing others?" Azul inquired. "And how would he implement that?"
  "How else? The physical shell was shattered so he imbued the pieces with a hypnosis spell," the Claw explained. "Every piece holds part of that spell and the larger the piece of Shell that you have on you, the stronger his control over you."
  Azul's eyes narrowed and he turned back to Floyd, just as the ink on the contract glowed a brilliant gold.
  Azul raised his magepen. "Floyd. Put the contract down." He ordered.
  "I don't feel like handin' it over," Floyd replied, a golden glow entering his eyes. "I wanna make a wish."
  A fishbone pen appeared in the air and Floyd grabbed it.
  Azul cast a fire spell towards the contract, but Floyd reacted, casting a protective spell before the fire could hit the paper.
  Azul gritted his teeth and ran out of the room, the Card and Claw following behind.
  "How many students have a shard of the shell?" Azul asked the Card and Claw as they headed down the hall.
  "They're marked by the golden chain," the Card said. "But he can turn on and off the spell, hiding the chain."
  "Will all of the wishers be invited to the party of only those with shards?" Azul asked.
  "Probably all of them," the Claw answered. "More wishes means more power."
  "And more power means that he's control will spread farther," the Card panted out. "Man. I should join Riddle for one of Coach Vargas' classes."
  Azul looked back and stopped. "It appears Floyd has not followed us," he said, breathing hard. "Something else has been bothering me though. If the Shell Necklace chose me as its host, why target other students?"
  "My bet would be attention or he's tryin' to break the need for a host." the Card replied.
  "That's possible?"
  "With enough power, sure," the Claw said? "I got close but Shell's going a lot farther then I did."
  "So the need for a host would be nullified should the Shell gather enough magic through these wishes?" Azul clarified. "How intriguing..."
  "We should get going but be careful with who you trust," the Card said. "Not everyone will have a free mind."
  "Of course," Azul said. "Thank you both for enlightening me."