Chapter 14:Arrival in Japan

...

Seated in three adjacent places in the luxurious first class of the plane, Arturia, Illya and Gilgamesh tranquilly waited for the long flight to be over.

The homunculi of the Einzbern Castle had advised the two former Heroic Spirits to change their appearance slightly for the journey, in order to look a bit older when being the sole escorts of a young girl. That was to be done regardless of their ages in the passports, because the display of maturity was more important. Using their powers, the two kings had done so: Arturia appeared to be in her mid-twenties and Gilgamesh just a few years older than her.

The few people in the first class stared at them with mild curiosity, because the regal countenance of the two kings did not go unnoticed. But the person who got the most attention was Illya, for her unusual features and her seemingly very young age.

The girl was polite, calm and quiet, something unusual in a child, and she unwillingly caught the attention of the other passengers because of that. After all, the flight was long, and anything that stood out a little bit was bound to attract attention.

For a few hours, she read through a book of Japanese literature, often talking about some passages with Arturia, in a low murmur that wouldn't disturb others and was heard only by the woman and by Gilgamesh, who sipped on the champagne the hostess had offered. He wasn't impressed by the taste at all, but the King of Knights had asked him to avoid making his own wine appear from nowhere while on the plane.

Towards the end of the long flight, Illya yawned, closing her finished book. She climbed into Arturia's lap, put her head on her shoulder and quietly drifted off to sleep. Arturia held the girl securely and, in a low voice, continued to exchange words with Gilgamesh, commenting the literary work they had gone through.

Suddenly, an elderly woman who was in the row in front of them spoke up.

"Excuse me," she said.

Arturia's arm imperceptibly tightened around Illya in instinct, even if the woman seemed innocuous and had a benevolent expression on her face.

"I just wanted to compliment you… You have a beautiful and well-mannered daughter."

Gilgamesh almost smirked at those words, while Arturia managed to maintain a neutral expression, even though the comment had been unexpected.

"Thank you for your kind words, but she's not my daughter. I am just her legal guardian." Her tone was quite low, in order not to disturb the girl who was embracing her, fast asleep.

The elderly woman smiled a little more widely.

"Oh, so you and your boyfriend are taking care of her! How sweet of you!"

The King of Knights raised an eyebrow. Where had that idea come from?

"I'm afraid there has been a misunderstanding, because that is not the nature of our relation–"

The older woman, with a politely confused expression, interrupted her.

"But I have not seen a ring on your finger so I assumed you weren't married yet…"

That comment made Arturia's neutral façade crumble as incredulity took over. Only Illya's presence and the fact that they were currently in the middle of the sky made sure that she kept her irritation from rising.

Keeping her voice calm and collected, she said, "Please do not make assumptions. What you are suggesting is not the nature of our relationship at all."