Chapter 29:Epilogue 3 - Living

...

One afternoon, Illya was thoughtfully reading through some magazines. She observed the long dresses the models were wearing with a keen eye before suddenly speaking up.

"Arturia, when you will get married, can I help you choose your dress? And will you let me and Rin do your hair? You would look absolutely stunning!"

Arturia almost dropped what she had in her hand, completely astonished.

Before she could reply, however, Gilgamesh snorted.

"She does not need that, Illya. She does not need to be dressed fancifully to be beautiful."

It took the woman all her self-control not to redden, while Illya, quickly recovering from his unexpected intervention, clapped with a thrilled expression on her face.

"You two are just so great together, Arturia! I wish that later in my life I'll find someone who loves me as much as Gilgamesh loves you!"

Managing to suppress another unwanted blush, the King of Knights changed the subject, bringing up the preparation of Rin's birthday cake for the following day.

Arturia thought she had successfully diverted the attention from herself, but she realized it wasn't quite the case as soon as Illya had left to go buy the ingredients for all the sweets they were going to bake.

Gilgamesh was giving her a very smug smile, and there was a devious light in his eyes.

"Be grateful that I did not specify this in front of the girl… but you don't need to be dressed at all to be beautiful."

This time the blush was impossible to suppress.

*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*

"Arturia?"

She looked up from the pot where she was simultaneously stirring soup and teaching Illya how to do it.

"Will I have to move out when you and Gilgamesh have kids?"

Arturia's eyes widened but, luckily, she was not holding anything in her hand – except for the ladle, which was inside the pot –, otherwise she would have dropped it.

Gilgamesh wasn't as lucky. He was sitting on a chair with a book and it almost fell on the floor. His reflexes were fast, though, and he grasped it back in time.

There was a long silence, until Arturia spoke, slowly, "You will never be forced to leave, Illya, that I can promise."

A pause.

"About having kids… I am not sure I want to know what gave you such an idea."

Illya frowned.

"You mean, you don't want to have children?"

Another very awkward silence followed. Illya seemed to realize she had asked something a bit inappropriate and too personal, and looked embarrassed as she apologized. Arturia, however, reassured her, and the girl went to call Rin because it was almost time to eat, leaving the room quietly.

Arturia did not turn towards Gilgamesh, immersed in her thoughts.

Illya's question about children had taken her aback.

She, of all people? Becoming a mother?

There was something outrageously wrong in that.

And Gilgamesh becoming a father?