Chapter 15:Kiritsugu

...

The following day, after making sure that both she and Illya had slept enough to adjust to the different time and allowing her thoughts to stay on the King of Heroes long enough to admit to herself that she already missed his presence, Arturia kept her promise to the girl.

The two, both wearing matching blue summer dresses because of the hot weather, went around Fuyuki to see everything the city had to offer.

The King of Knights guided the child firmly and kindly, holding her by the hand as they walked around. Illya's excitement was stellar, especially when they came near the river. She asked Arturia for permission and then, same as her mother Irisviel, took off her shoes to go with her feet inside the water.

Those sensations were completely unknown to the little girl, and the entire day was spent in making new experiences, one after another, all under Arturia's gentle guidance.

When they went to a cliff to see the landscape, the woman gave her bag to Illya for a short while as she pushed away a few rocks, and she didn't notice the girl taking out the mobile phone. It was one of the most recent models, with a photo camera in it, and when they were on top of the cliff, Illya used it.

Arturia looked down at the city, observing the buildings and the river, and a nostalgic smile came over her face. Without her knowledge, the girl used the modern device to take a picture of her, and with a devious little smile, sent an MMS to the number saved, which she knew belonged to Gilgamesh. Then, to make sure he did not get the wrong idea, she also sent him a brief text message.

Hi, this is Illya. Arturia took me around the city today, and I took this picture of her. Isn't she pretty?

She then put the phone back in the bag and gave it to Arturia.

The woman had not noticed it, because she had felt the presence of a bound field in the air around them. A field that originated from a residence in the middle of the town, in which she, Irisviel and Maiya had gone during the war. Since it was not the church, where Kirei was – and Gilgamesh, too, her mind supplied –, but a former Einzbern house, Arturia knew that that was where Kiritsugu was living.

From the cliff, while Illya was happily looking around, the King of Knights studied the road to reach the place from the mansion in which they were staying. She had requested, the evening before, to have a small car at her disposal, which she would drive personally. She did not like the idea of others knowing where she went.

She was also thinking of moving out from the Einzbern mansion during the following days, mainly because the house was too large for two people, and there were too many servants. The manor was going to be Illya's inheritance, therefore Arturia would not sell it, but while they lived in Fuyuki, it was best to stay in a smaller apartment, since it was going to be only the two of them.

She had noticed several small places up for sale, and she thought it the best course of action. If anyone wanted something from the Einzberns, the mansion was going to be a perfect decoy, but they were going to live a bit away from it.

Later that evening, Arturia discussed her idea with Illya. The girl had no objections at all; in fact, she seemed intrigued and enthusiastic, even after the woman warned her that there were going to be household chores to do regularly. The girl went to bed tired but happy, exactly as Arturia had hoped she would.

Before going to sleep, the King of Knights took up her mobile. It was time to call the arrogant yet observant King of Heroes.

He answered after just one ring. She would have raised an eyebrow at that, but she had finally learned to accept some strange facts when it came to his behaviour towards her.