Chapter 4 - Hold Your Hand

××Diesel××

"Father," I greeted, opening the door myself this time. This allowed me to easily escort the doctor out as well. He needed to leave for me to be able to explain everything. My brother followed behind the elder man, holding on to his arm tightly as he hobbled inside.

"Show me the girl," He ordered before I was able to say anything. I led the two men to my sleeping mate. Malachi was quick to pull a chair up beside the bed for our father to take a seat in.

"She has pointed ears," Chrom spoke a few moments later. Our fathers shaking hand reached up and brushed her hair back to see them. I was able to keep them hidden during the doctor's visit thankfully.

"Do you know what she is?" Malachi asked, leaning in. I grumbled and quickly got in his way.

"It's hard to tell. She could be many things, even a hybrid with no magic. There's no way to tell until she awakens." I so desperately wished she would.

"Why did you not take her to the clinic outside the walls?" Father asked, this time turning towards me, his pale blue eyes looking right through me. Chrom had clearly placed all the blame on me. I frowned and took a seat on the bed next to the small woman, taking her cold motionless hand in my own much larger one.

"She's my mate."

A short gasp left Chroms lips just as Malachi began talking.

"What's that again? Is she like your girlfriend?" Malachi questioned. I wasn't surprised he didn't remember. Shifter culture was not a big part of their lessons.

"Diesel, are you sure?" Father questioned, gray eyebrows furrowed in thought as he looked over the unconscious woman.

"The connection was instant. I don't know what else it could be." There was no one else I could consult about the feelings in the kingdom. I only had my own thoughts and emotions to go off of.

"I've never felt this way before," I continued softly. It was uncomfortable talking about this in front of my brothers but I wanted her to stay. I'd do anything to make that happen. Father sighed deeply, a shaky hand coming up to rub his brow.

"I had hoped your mate would turn out to be human."

I looked down. I didn't wish to cause my father more problems. It was the last thing I wanted. After he took me in I made it my mission to protect him and my new family but here I was, bringing an unconscious, possibly magical girl into our home with no clue of her identity. As much as it pained me, I couldn't say I regretted it.

"I'm sorry to disappoint you," I breathed. The air was tense.

"I know you cannot pick your mate Diesel. Please let me know when she wakes up." With that, Father stood. Chrom was quick to assist him; Malachi followed them out, opening doors as needed.

"Let me know if you need anything. I'll have the servants send your dinner up here."

"Thanks Malachi."

With my words, Malachi shut the door to my bedroom behind himself with a smile. I waited until I heard the door to the sitting room close before relaxing. I stared down at the unconscious woman for a few minutes longer before sighing. Staring at her wasn't going to make her wake up faster.

I slowly shrugged off my training gear and slipped out of my shoes. Just in case she woke up, I chose to keep myself decent. Knowing I wouldn't be able to focus on anything much, I grabbed a book and took a seat next to her on the other side of the bed.

I leaned back against the headboard and flipped to the bookmarked page, jumping quickly to the paragraph I had left off on. My eyes scanned the words.

Over and over and over again. The same paragraph over and over.

I quickly realized I wouldn't be able to focus with her so close. I had reread the same group of words more than once and retained absolutely nothing. I sighed and shut the book, tossing it at the end of the bed and sliding down the headboard.

I turned, once again finding myself staring at her soft features. A little upturned nose, soft light blue hair, and smooth creamy skin. I sighed for what felt like the hundredth time today.

I had lost my composure during training today and missed out on half a day's worth of work due to her. I'd have to make it up somehow tomorrow. No one else would understand my random absence if I were to take leave while my mate healed.

I couldn't help but wonder what her voice sounded like, what she liked to do with her free time, what her family and friends were like. I wanted to learn everything about her. On the other hand I worried she wouldn't understand our connection. I worried she wouldn't accept it or maybe she already had someone special to her. The idea brought a deep ache to my chest.

I reached out and carefully wrapped my hand around her cold fingers. We stayed like that for a few hours. I was well aware I was wasting the day away but I couldn't find it in me to leave her side.

I was forced to when there was a knock on the outer door. Knowing it was a servant bringing up food, I stood and exited my bedroom, finding my way to the outer door. I thanked the servant and took the tray from her, retreating back into my room.

The tray had two plates on it, I'm sure by Malachi's request, but one would go to waste. I took a seat at my desk and ate slowly, watching her unmoving form on my bed. I felt like I was going crazy. I laughed without humor and brushed my hair out of my eyes. I had been staring at a girl I knew nothing about for hours.

By the time I finished my meal, the sky had darkened. Wanting to get the day over with and with the hope that I'd wake up to her eyes open, I got ready for bed early. I slipped into a pair of more comfortable pants and blew out the various candles around the large room. 

Settling down in bed next to her was bittersweet. I had her with me but she wasn't really here. I rubbed my eyes and pulled the covers up even more around her, hoping it would keep her warm through the night. As much as I wanted to wrap my arms around her and fall asleep, I also wanted to respect her space.

That didn't stop me from taking her hand again before finally shutting my eyes.

-----
So yeah, diesel likes the girl