Chapter 11 - Settling In

××Blue××

Once we arrived at his room, Diesel led me inside and presented me with a laid out meal. Candles sat on every available surface and the curtains on the large windows were shut, giving the room a soft, warm glow. A simple but tasty looking meal sat on the table in the room. Two chairs had been pulled away from it, leaving the remaining two facing each other.

I looked back and smiled up at Diesel who was already watching me nervously.

"Did you do all this?" I asked, taking a tentative step forward.

"Malachi let me know you might be stressed after talking to our father. I thought this would help you relax," He explained, walking ahead of me and pulling out a chair.

"That's so sweet of you," I spoke, taking the offered seat. He pushed me in carefully and as he walked around to take his own seat, I kicked my shoes off under the table. Diesel heard them hit the ground but said nothing as he scooted in. In the few days of my "new" life, I had learned I very much disliked shoes. They fit well and were generally comfortable but they just felt wrong.

We talked in between bites, going over the events of our day. I mostly brought up King Arthur's stories, specifically the ones Diesel was a part of. He almost blushed at a few; King Arthur thought highly of Diesel and talked big about his achievements.

Diesel's day consisted of training, a break that he used for studying, lunch and, then back to training.

"Don't you ever get tired?" I asked, using my cloth napkin to clean my fingers once I was finished.

"It takes a while for me to get physically tired but some days do push me to my limit. Mentally though I find my position very rewarding. I end every day knowing I'm helping further the protection of my home and my people," He paused for a moment, glancing up at me from his empty plate, "And now you. I want to make sure you are safe."

The words warmed my heart.

"Thank you. I won't lie, it is scary being in such a foreign place with no memories to guide me. You being by my side has given me great comfort," I spoke, shyly hiding my gaze. I meant the words but it was still embarrassing to speak them outloud.

"I'll always be by your side Blue." Diesel caught my attention by reaching across the table and placing a hand on mine. My cheeks burned as I glanced up at his sweet gaze. The softest smile was planted on his lips. I couldn't help the warm smile that stretched across my own.

Then he was up, tidying up the table and stacking plates. I was quick to stand and assist. Both of us working together to set the dishes and glasses on the table near the door for the servants to pick up.

With plenty of light left outside, Diesel suggested another study session and I was quick to agree. While I didn't think it was helping my memory loss in the slightest, I found the knowledge very interesting. King Arthurs comment also loomed heavy in my mind. I needed to learn as much as I could. His need for me to fit in had not been spoken of directly but it was an underlying part of his requests. If I wanted to stay, I needed to prove it.

Thus a routine was formed.

I woke up every morning to an empty room. Diesel was always awake an hour or two before me as training started early so depending on how I was feeling, I'd either find my way to the dining room to eat breakfast with whoever was present, or let Isabel drag me away for a private breakfast where she would fill my ears with all the latest gossip or trends of the Barrick Kingdom. Sometimes Ben was in the dining hall during breakfast but only on days where Odius was roaming the halls.

After breakfast, I had time to myself, to read at leisure or wander the castle grounds with a guard or servant present so I wouldn't get lost. Diesel had made sure I knew not to wander off alone. I was unsure what else to do with myself, having no idea what I used to like or enjoy. The time I had to myself was my least favorite time of the day.

Lunch consisted of Malachi finding me and leading me to King Arthurs chambers with his usual soup meal in hand. We both found it easier for me to simply have the same for my meal. King Arthur would ask what I had learned the night before, nodding at my words and correcting me when needed. It felt like he was testing me. Then he'd tell me stories of his life. With close to sixty years under his belt, he was full of life experiences that I couldn't relate to but loved to hear about all the same. He even seemed to be getting better by the day. He joked that it was my presence healing his soul.

Diesel would find me a few hours later once his training with the royal guard and warriors was complete for the day. He'd greet me excitedly, and I found that I missed him throughout the day the longer I stayed in the castle. We'd go back to his room together, eat dinner while talking about our days, and then study until dark.

Diesel never pushed me hard and I was thankful. The more I learned and read, the bigger headache I had when I woke up but they too became less and less as the days progressed. We focused on teaching me about the locations of Vespear first and then moved on to information about the Barrick Kingdom. We both agreed it was best for me to know as much as possible about the kingdom I currently lived in.

When darkness shrouded the land and the candles had to be lit to see each other, Diesel and I simultaneously worked around each other to prepare for bed. It was a calm moment of the day I enjoyed. It wasn't busy or serious talks or learning but I wasn't alone. Diesel made me feel safe.

As many times as I offered the bed to the large man, he'd always decline and take over the couch that was much too small for him and I'd take the large bed. It was many times bigger than I needed. And even though we were in separate rooms, I didn't feel like we were apart.

It wasn't until two weeks had passed that my safe routine was changed.

-----
A little filler chap