Chapter 5 - Bright Eyes

××Diesel××

Something woke me in the middle of the night but when I heard nothing but the sound of the wind outside, I decided it was nothing to worry about. I ran a quick hand through my hair to remove it from my face and sat up, deciding to get a drink of water before trying to sleep again.

My nightvision allowed me to go straight for the water glass left on my desk. I downed it quickly, feeling much better afterwards. The moons outside were full, being seen clearly through the large window in my room. A creak from behind me had me whipping around, eyes searching the bed where my mate lay.

Large purple eyes stared at me through the dark. For a long moment, neither of us said a word. It felt like I couldn't breathe. Finally deciding to take a step towards her turned out to be the wrong move. Within seconds, she was scooting off the bed and falling to the floor. A yelp and a thump had me leaping to her aid.

She looked up at me from the floor as I stood over her, fear leaking onto her face.

"I'm not going to hurt you," I spoke softly, reaching a hand out to her. She glanced at it warily before placing her own small hand in mine. As carefully as I could, I helped her up back onto the bed.

"Please stay here. I'm going to light the candles." I could see and the moons were providing some light but I'm sure it wasn't helping her fear by being in the dark. As quick as I could, I lit up the room, watching her watch me out of the corner of my eye. I hated to admit that it was exciting to know she had a slight interest in me, even though it was purely innocent.

"Where am I?" She asked as I lit the last candle.

"This is the Barrick Kingdom. You are in the main castle," I explained, taking a seat at the very end of the bed on her side. She pulled up her legs to her chest as I did.

"Where is that?"

I tilted my head to the side, confused. We were one of the four kingdoms of Vespear, a well known area. I had never met someone who didn't even recognize the name.

"It's in Vespear." There was a long pause where her eyes seemed to unfocus and she simply stared at her lap.

"I... I don't know where that is either," She spoke softly.

"What's your name?" I questioned, deciding to steer the subject towards something she did know. When she didn't answer immediately, I began to worry. She hadn't even bothered to lift her head.

"Hey, did you hear me?" I reached an arm towards her, intending to shake her leg incase she had passed out due to her injury, but as soon as I made a move, her head shot up. Tears pricked her eyes and I could feel the stress coming off her in waves.

"I don't rememeber my name," She gasped out, her worried eyes searching my face.

"What do you remember?"

My question was left unanswered for many minutes as she looked deep in thought.

"I don't remember anything," She cried, fingers fisting nervously in the covers around her.

"It's okay, try to stay calm," I said, reaching towards her. She backed up quickly, her head hitting the head board in her rush. She hissed in pain, reaching a shaky hand up to her head where she gently prodded at the bandages she hadn't realized were there.

"What happened to me?" Her voice shook as she brought her other hand up to her head.

"I'm not sure," I sighed, "We found you alone outside in the rain. You had hit your head but thats all we know." I could see the disappointment and fear in her teary eyes and it broke my heart.

"I'm going to call the doctor. Is that okay?" She nodded silently.

I left the room quickly, leaving the bedroom door open as I entered into the sitting room. There was a servant outside the main door, a surprised look overtaking her features as I pushed the door open.

"Call the doctor to my room immediately," I ordered. She nodded, her hurried steps taking her down the hall as I shut the door again. I jumped a little when I turned around, finding my mate in the sitting room behind me. She was leaning against the wall and her legs were shaking but she had made it all this way just fine.

"You shouldn't be up," I spoke. She said nothing and continued a slow path through the room, her eyes stuck on the bookshelf on the other side of the room. I followed behind at a respectable distance, close enough to catch her if she fell.

She read the titles with interest, her fingers reaching for a book specifically about Vespear. I watched her struggle to reach it for only a few moments before she turned to look at me, a silent question that I quickly answered. I rushed up behind her and grabbed the book down, letting her take it from my hand just as a knock was heard from the door. I marched over, letting the doctor inside.

He took one look at her before turning to me, "Why is she up?"

"She can't remember anything," I said, ignoring his question.

"Nothing?"

"Nothing." The answer came from my mate. Her crying had stopped but the hard look in her eyes gave away the pain and fear.

"Please take a seat."

She sighed but complied, setting the book down on the small table beside the couch. The doctor looked her head over, changed the bandages, and asked a couple general and personal questions.

"Well?" I asked when he began taking notes.

"She's lost her memories." I growled. The sound caught both her and the doctor's attention so I quickly covered it with a cough.

"We already knew that. Is she going to regain them?" I grumbled out.

"I don't know," He sighed. Her head fell and I could hear her try to hold in her cries.

"They may come back over time. Something may trigger random memories here and there but time will only tell. The wound will be healed enough to take the bandages off in around a month. I'd like to keep an eye on her until then," He spoke. It was obvious he was trying to avoid the harder subject.

"That will be fine. You may go." The doctor nodded and gathered his items. As soon as the door was shut, her sobs increased. The pain in my chest increased alongside it.

I approached her carefully, kneeling down in front of her sitting form so I could see her easier and hopefully seem less intimidating.

"Can I hold you?" I questioned, already feeling embarrassed having to ask such a question. I almost stood up when she didn't say a word but suddenly arms were thrown around my shoulders and a face was pressed into my chest. I wrapped my own arms around her much smaller body and leaned forward so she could easily hold me but still be sitting comfortably.

I held her silently for a long time, allowing her to cry out all the pain, stress, and fear of losing herself.