Chapter 7

Springpaw and Frostpaw had almost collapsed. Their paws were scraped. Moonfall was nudging them along as they fell asleep on their paws. Scarfeather was at the head, encouraging everyone to keep going. Sunfern looked through bleary eyes at the setting sun.

"Scarfeather, we've been going all day. The apprentices are tired and have thorns in their paws. Let's rest for the night." Sunfern meowed wearily. Frostpaw looked at him thankfully and flopped onto the rocky ground.

They had been going from dawn to moonhigh each day with no breaks. They had made great progress and were only a day or two away from the clans. He couldn't wait for the next Gathering so Goldensky and Featherpool could tell the clans about their history. Then a horrible thought hit him. What if Featherpool is...dead? What if we took too long? It's been almost a moon since we started. Almost. The snow has even started to melt a bit.

"What's on your mind Sunfern?" Moonfall asked him. She shivered, shaking snowmelt off her paws. "This isn't good. It's so muddy from all the snowmelt. But at least newleaf is coming!" She mewed cheerfully.

"Moonfall." Sunfern whispered. "What if...what if we were too late and Featherpool is already, well, gone?" He looked over to make sure the apprentices hadn't heard him. They hadn't.

Moonfall looked at him sadly. Scarfeather came to a stop several fox-lengths ahead. He turned back and went out to hunt. Sunfern knew that Scarfeather was really tired. He just wasn't showing it. Springpaw and Frostpaw fell asleep side by side and Moonfall went to join them. She curled around them as if to keep them warm. Sunfern walked to the edge of the river. Please, Goldensky, be okay. And please, Featherpool, still be at least breathing.

Sunfern looked at the sky to see if any new stars had shown up in silverpelt, but it looked the same as it had last time he checked, which was back when Blackclaw died... Blackclaw. Sunfern thought. Sudden grief and regret struck him. Blackclaw was his mother's older brother, and he hadn't even thought to check on Goldensky then, to see if she was crushed by grief or not.

"Can't sleep?" Scarfeather's mew startled Sunfern back to reality.

"No... I'm guessing same for you?"

"You're too clever."

"I'm really not, I've heard what the others say... they say I'm different, a runt, not fit for the role of deputy." Sunfern's lips trembled, holding back a wail that only a kit would make.

"Sunfern... you are none of those things... except small." he teased. "You were my mentor. Kind, compassionate, brave, agile, great teacher, knowing when to tell me to knock it off, being able to climb the slickest tree to the very top then not being able to get down..."

"Shhhh, that was between you and me!" Sunfern laughed, then his expression softened. "You really are a good friend, and student. I feel much better now."

"Do you want me to spill out all my weaknesses and troubles to you now?" Scarfeather joked.

"Only if you want to."

"Nah, I'm good." The dark tabby warrior meowed.

They both sat there for Starclan knows how long before Scarfeather playfully cuffed him over the ear. They then broke out into a play-fight, laughing and yowling fake battle cries until Moonfall nearly scared the fur off of them.

"You two are loud as howling wolves." she yawned.

"Sorry..." Sunfern apologized.

"It's fine." Moonfall purred and rubbed her muzzle on his cheek.