Chapter 13

Summer couldn't understand what the meaning of that was, but that didn't stop her from intuiting that it probably wasn't a very nice thing to say. As soon as she finished her noodles, she couldn't wait to get back to her room, vaguely remembering that there was something very important hidden in her bedroom. Something that would help her quickly understand what was going on now.

Perhaps, it would also help her remember exactly what that fatal thing was that she had forgotten.

Summer searched around the room with urgency and was about to go through the last place she could hide something - under the quilted pillow on the bed - when the closed door was suddenly opened. She didn't know how she had reacted so quickly but her body which had been half-kneeling on the bed immediately rolled over and sat on the edge of the bed. Pretending to pick up her mobile phone and look at it.

So when her mother came in, all she saw was Summer sitting quietly on the edge of the bed fiddling with her phone with her head down.

A look of satisfaction flashed in her mother's eyes as she looked at Summer's puzzled gaze and said softly, "Summer, I have to go to work. Don't forget what you promised me yesterday. You HAVE to stay at home and don't go out, okay?"

No, she hadn't promised that at all.

Summer subconsciously opened her mouth to retort, "I didn't say I wouldn't go out. Didn't I promise to call you when I went out and not to stay out at night?"

Her mother was stunned, then her face sank, and her inquisitive gaze roamed back and forth across Summer's face, "You remember that?"

Summer's body instinctively rose to guard, but her face was blank: "Remember what?"

Her mother looked at her for a few minutes this time, her eyes rolling, and suddenly she smiled, "Nothing, but you must remember to call your mother. If Mum doesn't get the call and comes back and you're not home......" she said with a hint of secrecy in her voice, "Mum and Dad, they'll be furious."

Only after she was sure that Mum and Dad had really left did Summer realize that a cold sweat had broken out on her hands. After standing at the window and watching their backs disappear out of sight, she couldn't think about why she was so scared of her parents and turned back to continue what she had just done. She went back to her bed and lifted her covers and pillow and caught a glimpse of the black-covered notebook under the pillow.

Intuition told her that this was it!

After a quick glance to make sure it was a diary, Summer quickly stuffed the diary and pen into her backpack. Briefly checked that she had enough money with her, grabbed her umbrella and left the house in a flash. It was not until she was standing in the street that the sense of urgency of being surrounded by danger, forcing her to do something quickly, disappeared. Summer looked around and saw that she was now at a crossroads and that there was a café open just across the road where she could sit down and read the diary.

It's office hours and the cafe is empty, so Summer orders a cappuccino and sits down in a corner, taking out her diary and reading it carefully. As she read, she searched her mind for memories and found, oddly, that she hadn't woken up this morning with a splitting headache like the one in her diary. Although her specific impressions were vague, she could at least vaguely recall something and could clearly feel that she had forgotten something she shouldn't have.

Compared to the first few days, it was better than nothing. Was this an improvement in her condition, or had she done something extra yesterday?

Summer couldn't remember, so she pushed back her anxiety and continued to turn the pages. The diary was down to the last entry she had written yesterday, but so far she hadn't found the thing that had disturbed her......