Chapter Two: The Start of an Arduous Journey

"Mikasa! I'm so excited you're here!" Hange, Levi's wife, says as she envelops her in a hug. "Welcome back!" She says once they pull apart. Hange gives her a fond look as she does too. "Hm..." she thinks. "Levi! Mikasa's glowing! Don't you think?" She questions him.

Levi shrugs his shoulders. "Looks about the same to me. Isn't that something you weirdos say when someone's pregnant anyway?" He questions. At the mention of that word, Mikasa pauses a bit. Her last few days begin rushing back to her head. All the morning sickness, all of the sickness in general, the fatigue, the not eating...all of that was pregnancy symptoms. Suddenly, Mikasa was feeling very uneasy inside. No. It couldn't be. There was no way she was pregnant. That was impossible. Possibly a bad dream and maybe just fear. She was on birth control, and every so often she and Eren used protection.

Levi and Hange were joking.

Yet, just to make sure, when she was alone again she needed to check when she last got her period. For some odd reason, she couldn't remember.

"Oh, you're right! No way Mikasa is pregnant!" Hange says, laughing. Mikasa laughs a bit too. "Of course not..." she says, her eyes meeting Levi's. "How have you been?" She questions. "Well, never really a dull moment with Hange around," he says, the tiniest of smiles playing on his lips. Mikasa was genuinely happy for Levi. He'd gone through so much and honestly, seeing him being able to settle down with Hange was a breath of fresh air.

"And Sophia too right?" Mikasa asks, watching as Levi smiles once again. "Of course. Although, as of lately she's taking after Hange more."

"Sounds fun," Mikasa says. Sophia was Levi and Hange's five-year-old daughter. Mikasa enjoyed her a whole lot and especially loved her company. "Where is Sophia?" She questions. "Inside," Levi answers. "She doesn't know you're here yet, Mikasa. You should surprise her!" Hange says. Mikasa nods, already getting ready to head inside. She steps into the living room, and soon as she does her eyes land on Sophia. The little girl is paying no mind to her and is instead intoxicated with whatever she's playing on her iPad.

"Soph, you have a guest," Levi says.

She looks up, and as quickly as he said her name, she now is in Mikasa's arms. "Aunt Mikasa! I thought you weren't coming tomorrow!" She squeals out happily. Mikasa picks her up, placing her on her hip. "Santa sent me early," she decides on saying. There were only two more days until the holiday anyways.

"Papa says that Santa isn't real," Sophia says, curiously.

"That's because he's a killjoy," Mikasa says, a smirk on her lips as Levi's face turns to a scowl.

"Anyways," She says, quickly changing the subject. "I have gifts for you Sophia, but they go under the tree for Christmas Day!" Mikasa says, pulling out all the gifts she purchased for her.

"Yay! Gifts! More gifts!" She cheers.

"So, Eren didn't show?" Levi questions, picking up his cup of tea and sipping it.

"No. I told you he needed to finish a few classes."

"Doesn't really sound like him," Levi scoffs.

"Yeah, well, he's serious about his career," Mikasa says. Which draws her back to the pregnancy conclusion. If she was pregnant, this wouldn't be good for Eren. It's not that she doubted any fatherly abilities he had, that was defiantly not the case. She just knew that he had his whole life ahead of him. He wanted to be a doctor, and even though they were graduating in the next few months he was going to medical school after. She knew how big of a process all of that was and she didn't know if he could handle it.

So for now, she had to hope that she wasn't. They were careful. Maybe she just had a stomach bug?

"I'm gonna bring my things upstairs," Mikasa says, grabbing her luggage and dragging it up the stairs. "I'll be right back down, Sophia." She says, smiling at the girl before she leaves. Once she is upstairs, she closes the door to her room. She didn't care about putting up her luggage. Right now, her only concern was her concern for what was going on with her. She pulls out her phone, heading to her health app. She goes to the menstrual section to check when her last period was and mentally curses when it shows that she hadn't had one since almost two months ago.