Prologue

"Orchid, is this really necessary?" (C/F) Cookie frowns at Pure Vanilla Cookie, who had pulled them into a tight hug. From where they were sitting on the couch in his chambers, they couldn't easily pull him off them.

"Oh! Sorry, I know how much you hate being hugged like that. I just wanted to have you close to me..." He says sheepishly.

"It's not even evening yet." They grimace, "You're being particularly touchy today. Is something wrong?"

"Not really. I just..." He trails off. He retracts his arms, but rests his head against them, "Being with you is relaxing."

"Really?" (C/F) Cookie moves their head to be out of the way of his hat and still able to see his face.

"Mmhmm." He hums. "Like a soft bed after a long day..."

"I think you have one of those." They glance at said bed, hoping that would be enough to get him off them.

"Yes, but I'm already here... and it's not quite the same."

"Are you making excuses now?" They brush his hair away from his face with their hand to see his heterochromatic eyes staring at their face.

"Does it feel like I am?" Pure Vanilla Cookie frowns, "That's not my intention."

"You know, you say that a lot, and then you do things that make me feel otherwise." (C/F) Cookie returns his gaze, "Like the lilies in the garden..."

"And I told you those are just a keepsake for White Lily Cookie. She's my friend; you're my everything." He smiles, closing his eyes and leaning more against them.

"Uh..." They chuckle in embarrassment, blushing, "What?"

"I used to think there was no such thing as perfection... I was wrong."

"I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at here..." They frown. "No one is perfect. Cookie or otherwise."

"Hmm, perfection is a matter of opinion and, to me, you're perfect." Pure Vanilla Cookie takes their hand in his, "How about we go with that?"

"Orchid..." They frown at the floor.

"Yes (C/F) Cookie?"

"Please don't say that."

"I can't help it, sorry (C/F) Cookie." He chuckles, "I'd do anything for you, even attempt the impossible, but calling you anything less than perfect would be a lie."

"But I'm not perfect. So it is a lie." They reason, a bit unnerved by his insistence.

"Hmm, perhaps to you. I don't understand why you would possibly think less of yourself. Your power is beyond comprehension and literal legends are written about you." Pure Vanilla Cookie tightens his hold on their hand. "I'm willing to bet that the only thing that could keep you from turning me into crumbs is the massive amount of soldiers outside the room; not that I'd mind if you crumbled me, I'd love to see you actually use that power."

"... What on Earthbread are you saying, Pure Vanilla Cookie?" (C/F) Cookie gapes at him.

"Oh, dear (C/F) Cookie, I'm amazed you don't understand."

"Wha—Understand what?! What have you explained to me that I could possibly understand?!" They exclaim.

"I love you, (C/F) Cookie, and I won't ever let anything take you away from me." His grip on their hand became so tight they felt their dough crack, and their scream of pain was muffled by him forcefully kissing them.

(C/F) Cookie woke with a frantic gasp for breath, having to pat themself over to ensure that they were still in their home, in the clothes they had put on that night, and that he wasn't anywhere nearby.