Chapter 9: Fall

The next few weeks flew by in a blur.

While nothing was quite the same as before, every moment Pure Vanilla Cookie could be right beside (C/F) Cookie, he was. He also seemed rather annoyed that Roommate Cookie was with them everywhere they went; he definitely didn't realize that it was (C/F) Cookie following them around in an effort to stay away from him, and avoid being alone with him.

And since the days were so busy with various repairs of the kingdom, the nights were actually rather calm. Rather than a death grip which had been custom for him before the war, he held them gently at night—it no longer felt like a clutch of desperation, just a soft and caring hug. They hated how the lack of a painful grip around their wrist or around their back made it easier to sleep soundly.
He didn't make them feel safe, but just the subtle change they doubted even he noticed was enough to make them feel safe there.

At least they and Roommate Cookies could still hold little midnight sandwich parties in the study, and the blankets had yet to come down. Turns out many of the Villagers have trouble sleeping too, and many of them appreciated being able to come there.
They finally met Strawberry Crepe Cookie after Pure Vanilla Cookie basically dragged them there to socialize, and the kid genius was rather surprised to find that a lot of the Cookies there were interested in hearing about their projects and Wafflebots.

Not that (C/F) Cookie was safe from Pure Vanilla Cookie at these little parties either. He loved just sitting next to them and had fallen asleep on them on multiple occasions. Roommate Cookie usually sat on their other side and refused to budge unless they ended up getting swarmed by restless children.

Overall, he was far less controlling than they remembered, but still just as clingy.

"Let me talk to him." Roommate Cookie says as they help (C/F) Cookie set aside some silverware, plates, and cups for the new little hangout the Village Cookies were putting together. "You're too nervous he'll snap at you if you say anything. I've been writing a list to talk to him about based on the stuff you've told me."

"No!" (C/F) Cookie nearly drops the plates in their hands, "I don't want..."

"You need to say SOMETHING to him or it will just be this nervous limbo with him forever." Roommate Cookie insists, "If you're too afraid to talk to him, then I'll do it. Being so nervous is exhausting you and not trying to deal with it is just making it worse."

(C/F) Cookie frowns.

They aren't wrong...

"How about this? I'll talk to him, you go take a nap." Roommate Cookie offers. "I'm certain that we've got enough stuff here for them, and if not, we can help them get more later."

"I'm not sure that's a good idea..." (C/F) Cookie fiddles with the plate before setting it on the stack.

"How many hours of sleep have you gotten in the past week?"

"Uh..."

"How many of those hours were peaceful?"

"Uhhhh..."

"My point exactly. You should go take a nap."

"I-"

"Uh, Roommate Cookie, can I talk to you for a moment?"
Speak of the devil. Pure Vanilla Cookie was standing at the door, nervously frowning at the two of them.

"Sure. I've been wanting to talk to you too."

(C/F) Cookie is not ok with what is happening, but doesn't say anything.

"It'll be fine." Roommate Cookie assures them, spotting their uncomfortable look. "You just go get some rest."

(C/F) Cookie watches the two leave them behind, terrified of what might happen next.