Chapter 7: Idle

Upon returning home, both Roommate Cookie and (C/F) Cookie had an unsettling feeling following them.

It wasn't as bad as (C/F) Cookie's paranoia before, but both would occasionally look over their shoulders and avoid being alone for too long.

"As much as I love midnight sandwiches, it's pretty obvious that something is up with us." Roommate Cookie grimaces biting into their sixth sandwich one night after just a moon since their trip.

"Yeah..."  (C/F) Cookie nods, "It feels like it's been too quiet. I'm surprised he hasn't come here yet..."

"Maybe he doesn't know where we are."

"Maybe..."

Roommate Cookie pauses, "We're going back there, aren't we?"

"Well..."

"I get it. He'll find us eventually if we hide out here, and he'll be angrier than if we go back ourselves. I'm glad I never really unpacked."

"I'm a bit worried about going back if I'm honest..." (C/F) Cookie frowns, "I just don't know if he'll turn over the entirety of Earthbread looking for me."

"Heh, he'd be worse than Dark Enchantress Cookie at that point." Roommate Cookie chuckles.

"That reminds me... shouldn't she be back too?"

"Huh. You're right."

"Who do you think is the lesser of two evils?"

"Pure Vanilla Cookie." Roommate Cookie shrugs, "Dark Enchantress Cookie still tried to destroy the world and is probably trying to do so again."

"Touché... Orchid is rather easy to please, things just have to go his way."

"When should we leave?"

"Sooner rather than later."

"How about tomorrow. It hasn't been too long; we haven't really gotten our lives back together." Roommate Cookie suggests, "And that way we both have an incentive to sleep."

"Yeah... I'm willing to bet that I still won't." (C/F) Cookie sighs.

"I'm not gonna bet you because I know you likely won't." Roommate Cookie snickers.

Surprisingly, (C/F) Cookie got out of bed feeling incredibly well rested, but Roommate Cookie looked rather disheveled.

"Are you sure we shouldn't stay until the afternoon so you can sleep?"

"Do I look like I need it that much?" Roommate Cookie asks.

"Yeah. You look terrible."

"I did eat like... ten sandwiches last night before going to bed again." They shrug, "It's not worth waiting. Let's go."

"Alright."

The walk was mostly silent, giving (C/F) Cookie time to think. Various random things passed through their mind and it was rather nice to know that they wouldn't be asked to share them.
But when they were about a town over a thought came to their mind that made them feel stupid.
"...Why did it take me this long to realize I can just fly us there?"

"Hmm?" Roommate Cookie turns to them, "What?"

"With this," (C/F) Cookie draws their staff from their bag, "I can just fly us back to the Kingdom."

"Why did it take you that long to realize that?"

"I wasn't thinking about it, I guess..."

"Can you do that the rest of the way?"