Chapter 2: Weather Vane

After there was quite a bit of distance between them and town, (C/F) Cookie was able to walk without trembling so much their legs gave way. They were the one who needed to direct their trek, so that was kind of important.

But the forest felt oddly quiet as they walked through the trees. Roommate Cookie and (C/F) Cookie didn't even want to break the silence, it was just that overpowering.

"How's your hand?" Roommate Cookie finally speaks up after what felt like an eternity.

"It feels better than it has been feeling..." (C/F) Cookie responds honestly.

"That's good..."

As the silence resumes, (C/F) Cookie tries to think of something they could say in return.
"What about you? Are you ok?"

"Yeah."

The silence now feels suffocating and awkward.

"Lovely weather, isn't it?" (C/F) Cookie changes the subject.

"Yeah, I'm glad it's not raining today." Roommate Cookie agrees, looking up at the sunny sky.

"Yeah, but the ground does feel a bit dry... it might rain soon." What they really meant is 'I might make it rain soon' but that would sound odd.

"Do you know how close we are to another town?" Roommate Cookie asks.

"Actually... I don't." (C/F) Cookie frowns, "I haven't been this way in a long time..."

"But you still know the way?"

"Yes, the final destination is a place I could probably walk to in my sleep."

"Where is it?"

"Hopefully, no where."

""Hopefully"?" Roommate Cookie repeats, their confusion clear.

"...yeah." (C/F) Cookie nods nervously.

"Oh, does the place you hope is not there have something to do with the nightmares you have?"

"In a sense... I knew someone unpleasant there..." They nod, clutching their staff tighter, "I'm hoping I never see him again."

"Yeesh. Bad falling out or something?" Roommate Cookie asks.

(C/F) Cookie slowly shakes their head.

"...For some reason that response makes me more nervous." Roommate Cookie shudders.

"And you don't even know what happened..."

"I assume that means you don't want to talk about it."

"Not yet." (C/F) Cookie glances at their bandaged hand.

"Ok."

"I- Wait, what?"

"What do you mean "what"?" Roommate Cookie blinks, "You said you don't want to talk about it, so I'm respecting your boundaries. Do people normally ask anyway?"

"Yeah..." (C/F) Cookie nods.

"Wow... Hang on, when would you have told someone?"

"Uh... well..." (C/F) Cookie glances nervously into the trees.

"...I've read enough adventure stories that I think I know where this is going. Are you some powerful ancient being who went into hiding or something?" Roommate Cookie asks.

"Wow. I didn't know you read stories like that."

"I did a lot more as a kid. Back then, it was my dream to go on an epic adventure. That's why my parents taught me the importance of preparation. If you're prepared for the worst that can happen, you likely won't have to deal with it."