3. he's back

"then there's heidi tomorrow night, but the problem with heidi is that she's going out of state for college so it's, do i really wanna start another relationship that has no point other than sex? i mean, i just, i, i don't know

"then there's heidi tomorrow night, but the problem with heidi is that she's going out of state for college so it's, do i really wanna start another relationship that has no point other than sex? i mean, i just, i, i don't know. does that make sense to either of you?"
robin was doing her makeup while i was making sure my cheer uniform was straight and everything
"are either of you listening?"
"uh, yes"
"yeah for sure"
"what did i just say?"
"something about sex"
"uh sex. with linda."
"no, i'm talking about heidi."
steve yelled
"cut us some slack, please. your love life is one of labyrinthine complexity. and it is 7:00 in the morning, we have the stupid pep rally, and i woke up looking like a total corpse. okay not all of us look like savanna hopper when we wake up."
i smile
"oh please you mean we can't all look like steve harrington when we wake up"
i lean forward and mess with his hair
"hey! hey! love the complaint but hands off the hair"
i laugh
"and robby we know your not worried about the pep rally."
"yeah do you really expect us to believe that?"
"yeah? so?"
"so"
"so we all know what this is about."
"vickie"
i sing and sit back in my seat
"this is so about vickie"
steve says agreeing with me
"absolutely not."
"yes it is."
"definitely is."
"and you know what else i think?"
"i really don't care"
"i care stevey."
"you gotta stop pretending to be someone else when you're around her. you just gotta. just just gotta be yourself."
"oh god i'm getting deja vu."
"he literally just quoted me to me."
robin looked at me and back to steve
"you do realize that"
"well maybe you need to listen to yourself. ever think about that smartie pants ?"
"yes you tell her steve. take your own advice robin. i mean steve took it and it's working out"
"actually i listened. look at me. boom. back in business."
"it's not the same thing. okay?"
"why"
"you ask out a girl and she says no. big deal. nothing happens, maybe your egos a little bruised but i ask out the wrong girl, and bam, im a town pariah."
"okay yeah i'd buy that, except vickie is definitely not the wrong girl."
"we just don't know that, do we?"
"yes we do"
"she returned fast times paused at 53 minutes, 5 seconds. do you know who pauses fast times at 53 minutes, 5 seconds? savanna do you know?"
"uhh... people who like boobs?"
"yes! people who like boobies, robin."
"ew!"
"robin"
"gross. don't say boobies"
"oh come on robin"
"boobies. not a big deal, okay? i like boobies. you like boobies. vickie likes boobies. definitely. sav may even like boobies."
"not me man, i show my boobies i don't look at other peoples"
"okay well sav just likes showing off her boobies but still it's boobies"
the car was finally quiet as we pull up to school
"hey, wait up!"
robin yells getting out of the car, steve looks back at me
"you okay?"
"yeah i'm fine"
"you know i'm here if you need to talk or anything"
"i know steve. but right now i have a pep rally to get too"

after our cheer performance we all ran off the floor yelling and waving
"and let's hear it for your tigers!"
"let's go tigers!"
i holler while the basketball team runs out
"good morning, hawkins high! first off... hey. first off, i'd like to thank each and everyone of you. without your support, we wouldn't be here. give yourselves a big hand. and of course, of course, i have to give a special shout-out to your he best and the prettiest fans of all time, the tiger cheer squad."
we all cheer. you know that girl that you don't expect to be on the cheer squad. that's me. i only joined because billy begged me and id just feel bad quieting now.
"chrissy. chrissy, i love you, babe."
a bunch of aw comes from the crowd
"you know... i think i can speak for all of us when i say it's been a rough year for hawkins. so much loss. and sometimes i wonder, how much loss can one community take? in dark days like this, we need something to believe in. so, last night, when we were down by ten points at half to christian academy, i looked at my team, and i said, think of jack. think of melissa. think of heather... think of billy."
almost everyone looked at me.
"think about our heroic pole chief, jim hopper."
they all stared again
"think about every one of our friends who perished in that fire. what did they die for? for us to lose to some... some crap school? no"
the crowd yelled no. is he for real? my dad and billy didn't die for them to win some game. they died to save me. and i wish i could swap places with them but i can't. and winning some game doesn't change a thing
"for us to return home with our heads hung low in defeat? no!"
"no!"
"no. let's win this game. let's win this game for them. and that's exactly what we did! we embarrassed those candy-asses in their own house, and now tonight, tonight, we're gonna bring home the championship trophy!"
i start to cheer along with everyone
"let's go"