Chapter 1: The Prince

Beckham

My parents asked to meet with me in the throne room and I have a feeling I know what it's about.

The doors to the throne room opened and I walked through. My father was sitting on his throne which would soon be mine and my mother was sitting next to him on her own. Mother sent me a smile before Father started.

"As you know, we have been in conflict with the Kingdom of Hiradus," he began.

I nodded. I knew about this conflict, Father and I had been discussing it together for weeks.

"And we finally found a way to settle it."

That's a relief, and way better than how I thought the meeting was going to go.

"You are to marry King Henry's niece," Father finished.

Scratch that last thought.

"What?" I shouted. "No."

I had told my parents time and time again that my marriage would not be a business arrangement. I don't want to spend the rest of my life stuck with someone I hate. I want to spend it with someone I love.

"You will be marrying this girl," Father scolded.

"No I will not."

I am almost 21, about to be crowned King! I can make decisions for myself. Surely there must be another way to settle this conflict. I asked Father and he said King Henry would agree to nothing else.

"Maybe you will end up loving her," Mother chimed in.

"I'm not setting up the rest of my life based on maybe."

"At least meet the girl," Mother told me. "I hear she's very sweet."

I scoffed. "Fine."

Mother smiled and Father smirked, thinking he'd won.

"I will meet her, but I do not promise to marry her."

This seemed to satisfy my parents who dismissed me. I was glad they did, my anger was getting uncontrollable.

I stormed out of the throne room with Tyler close on my heels. He was my best friend and also Captain of the Guard. We'd grown up together, his mother is my mother's maid and the two are close friends. Ty and I didn't have a choice but to be friends and I couldn't ask for a better one.

Tyler followed me outside and tossed me a sword. He knew exactly what I needed right now.

I unsheathed the sword and slashed it at Tyler. He blocked with his blade and we went back and forth.

"They can't just force me to marry someone," I grunted out.

Ty slashed his sword at me and I had to roll to dodge it.

"Meet the girl and worry about that if she truly is awful."

He was right and I knew it, but I was angry. Father refused to marry until he met Mother and they fell in love, but now he wanted me to marry for business? That's hypocritical and absurd. He should know better than anyone how stupid this is.

But it's this or war and there are innocent lives to think about.

So do I sacrifice all of those lives, or my own happiness?