Chapter 21: Birthday Celebration

Talia

Today is Beckham's birthday and tomorrow is our wedding! Everything is ready so today we just get to celebrate his twenty-first birthday starting with breakfast at his parents' house.

I had gotten there early to help Maria prepare. We made eggs, bacon, toast, and pancakes. Well, Maria did. It turns out I suck at cooking. Maria however did not and all the food smelled delicious.

I was setting the last plate on the table when Beckham came in. I ran over to him and jumped into his arms.

"Happy birthday!" I exclaimed.

"Thank you," he said with a chuckle.

I led Beckham over to the table where his parents were seated.

"This looks great you guys," he said to me and his mother.

"Oh, I didn't do anything. I'm really bad at cooking."

"That's not true!" Maria said. "Well the cooking part is, but you were a great help."

The four of us shared a laugh and then began serving food.

"Oh! I almost forgot!" Maria exclaimed and rushed back into the kitchen.

When she came back she had a bowl in her hands.

"I heard these are your favorite," she said.

"Strawberries?" I asked hopefully.

Maria nodded and I squealed in excitement. I love strawberries.

"I think she might love those more than she loves me," Beck joked.

"Of course not," I said and playfully shoved Beck's chest. "Just almost as much."

We all laughed and began to eat. My meal consisted mostly of strawberries. I hardly left any for anyone else to eat. That's how much I love them.

"I heard you gave Tyler quite the hard time yesterday," Alexander said and my eyes widened.

"Oh, it was the best," Beck chuckled. "You should've seen it."

"Maybe Talia should be our new Captain."

"Too late. She's already going to be Queen."

Alexander and Beckham shared a laugh and Maria said she was proud of me. I was appalled that they approved of me hitting Tyler and swiftly moved the conversation along.

At the end of the meal, Beckham hugged his parents goodbye and they presented him with his gift. It was a new horse. I felt like my gift was kind of lame in comparison, but pushed that thought away. I knew Beckham would appreciate it just because it came from me.

"Come on," I said and led Beckham away from his parents' house.

"Where are we going?" He asked me.

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

Beck laughed and let me lead him to our mystery location in the middle of the woods.

"What are we doing here?" Beck asked.

"I'm giving you your birthday gift," I chirped.

"In the middle of the woods?"

I nodded and gave Beck a peck on the lips. "Wait here."

I went off to the place I hid Beckham's gift and hid it behind my back. I was nervous that Beckham wouldn't like it, but I pushed those thoughts away and presented him with his gift; a set of throwing knives.

"These are great!" Beck said, examining the blades I had specially made for him.

"Really? You like them?"