Chapter 24: War

Talia

"Talia love, it's time for me to go."

I was already awake, I had been for hours, but I pretended to just be waking up.

"Do you have to?" I asked and pouted.

"I do."

I got up on my knees in bed and hugged Beck.

"Please be safe," I whispered against his chest.

"I will."

I laid back down and closed my eyes. Beck pressed a kiss to my forehead before leaving. I waited to hear footsteps receding down the hall and sprung into action.

I slid all of my weapons out from under our bed where I placed them last night and laid them out on the bed. Then I put on some of my training clothes and one of Beck's leather jackets. It was huge on me, but it worked and it would protect me if the need came.

I strapped my sword onto my back and around my waist I had two daggers and four throwing knives that Beck bought me as my wedding gift.

Braiding my hair back as I went, I snuck through an old servant's passage out to the courtyard. I made sure no one saw me and slipped behind a crate where I could see what was happening.

Men were saddling horses and getting ready to go. Two horses were pulling a wagon and I saw my opportunity. I dashed towards the wagon running as fast as I could and jumped in before anyone could see me. I climbed all the way to the back and hid behind a stack of crates where no one would see me.

If Beck was going to war then so was I.

Step 2. Done.