20- A Happy-ish Ending

Upon returning, Zenitsu was pounced on by Rai. Shinobu and Uzui panicked for a moment, calming down once again when they discovered that Zenitsu was fine.

"We were only gone for the day." Zenitsu said, sitting up.

"I got lonely." Rai said.

He nodded and got up.

Rai was instantly at his side, smiling.

Zenitsu felt a bit of releif that Rai had taken a once-again liking to him. He grew to get used to her new personality and her, very agressive, affectionate manner. Rai grew to love him again as well.

(2 year Timeskip)

"Got it." Rai smiled, hopping up into a tree and jumping through the branches, going for the demon the two were chasing. She pounced on it, the snow around her rising from the ground in an almost fog before drifting down again.

In front of her and the demon she had pinned, was a young boy that was holding a few small logs. He'd stopped everything, staring at the two demons with widened, red eyes. His hair was also red. He wore a checkered haori, green and black. On his forehead, what seemed to be a birthmark was there.

Rai let the demon go as Zenitsu beheaded it. She walked over to the red headed boy.

She recognized him....

He had seen her before too....

Zenitsu looked at them, freezing at the sight of what seemed to be Tanjiro.

Rai felt the boy's scar, her head moving to his chest to listen.

The boy feom Zenitsu's dream...? She thought, listening to his heartbeat. She'd gone through Zenitsu's dreams at night while bored, seeing them train together. She'd met him breifly in one.

The demon from my dream...? The boy thought, staring at Rai. Recently, he'd had an amazing dream about a demon. He hadn't realized she was real.

"Tanjiro?" Rai asked, looking at him again.

He nodded slightly.

"No way." Zenitsu said, staring.

Tanjiro looked over to him. "What's your guys' names?"

"I'm Zenitsu, and that's Rai." Zenitsu said, still in shock. A reincarnation?

Rai invaded Tanjiro's thoughts, smiling and picking him up. "It's like a dream."

He nodded a bit.

Zenitsu clenched his sword's hilt, thinking about everything else Tanjiro had told him about his family and becoming a demon slayer. He walked over, patting his head. "Keep looking after your family."

Tanjiro nodded a bit. "That's my intent." He smiled.

Rai listened to Zenitsu's thoughts and looked at him, smiling.

(4 years later)

Rai sat down on Tanjiro's porch, waiting.

"What are you doing?" Muzan asked, behind her.

Rai looked over at him, getting up. "I want these ones alive. I've taken a liking to them."

Muzan looked into the window, scoffing. "You should kill them. Doesn't it make you mad that your husband is dead and they aren't? Why do they get to survive?"

Rai looked at the small band on her finger. "He'd want them to go on."

Muzan rolled his eyes, grabbing her by the hair.

She went theough his mind for as long as she could. Muzan forced her out and made her bleed without touching her.

"They aren't any kind of descendant from him. He won't be able to kill you." Rai said.

Muzan grabbed her by the throat and looked into her eyes, warning her about her words.

"He won't become a slayer." She said.

Muzan stood and dropped her, leaving. "Only this once."

Rai resumed staying on the porch, looking down at her ring. She sighed and wiped her eyes a bit.

"Are you alright?" Tanjiro asked, stepping out with a lantern.

"Yes, I'm alright." Rai smiled.

Tanjiro sat next to her, setting the lantern down. "Do you think he visits sometimes?" He asked, looking at the ring.

Rai smiled and nodded. "I like to imagine he does."

Tanjiro smiled back. "How long do you plan on staying here?"

"Until I have nothing more to look after." Rai smiled.

Tanjiro nodded, hugging her. "Thank you."

She hugged him back, kissing the top of his head.

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight Tanjiro." She smiled. She looked back over the yard, resuming her duty. I'll keep them safe Zenitsu.

The end

690 words😎