Anger and Rebirth

I woke laying on a soft bed with the comforter pulled up to my chest. I sat up quickly, my eyes roving over the various items in the unfamiliar bedroom I was in. My head felt cloudy and I felt oddly thirsty. The room was fairly simple, with off-white walls and no picture frames. There was a large white desk drawer with an oval mirror on top. It looked like one of those guest bedrooms I stayed at when I was sleeping over at my friends' houses.

I slowly got off the bed, placing my feet on the plush carpet. I tried recalling what happened, and where I was currently at. The memories all rushed back to me in a flurry, causing me to plop back down on the white duvet. I remembered getting in my car to find...Riley. My heart hurt as I thought of him. I shook my head, forcibly pushing thoughts of him out. I had to focus and regain composure.

I remembered the salty air by the docks, and shouts. A woman's face appeared in my vision, then a scrawny teen who was denying the woman's allegations. I recalled running towards him—albeit foolishly, I realized now. I let out a gasp as I remembered getting shot then blacking out.

"Oh good, you're awake." A voice sounded by the doorframe, as I whipped my head around to look at the newcomer. Standing by the door was a chipper-looking female with short dark hair. She reminded me of a pixie or a fairy, and was dressed in a flowy black dress. She smiled, "Carlisle told us about how he saved you. I'm glad to see you're up on your feet again."

I frowned, feeling cynical, "Who's Carlisle?"

The other female smiled, "Carlisle is a part of our family. He saved a lot of us and we wouldn't be here without him. I'm Alice. Alice Cullen."

I paused, remembering a man with golden blonde hair and a kind face who told me I'd be alright. I was about to ask more questions when my throat suddenly felt hot. I looked to Alice with questioning eyes as I clutched my neck. The feeling was almost indescribable. It was like I was thirsty but also suffered from an extremely sore throat.

Realization spread over the other girl's features as she approached me. "You must be thirsty, we have to go hunting." I didn't even bother asking what she meant and just followed her out into the house. I needed to drink.. something, I didn't know what.

"Why do I feel so thirsty? Do you have some, I don't know, water?" I asked, feeling antsy. We walked out into the kitchen and I saw two men—the first was burly with short dark hair and the second had longer wavy blonde hair. They both looked to me sympathetically and the one with short dark hair chuckled.

"Water isn't going to do anything for you," he said. Alice laid a hand on my shoulder and I visibly tensed.

"Sorry," she muttered, removing her hand upon my discomfort. "We won't hurt you, we're just trying to help you.. adjust," Alice explained.

I snapped, "Adjust to what?" I didn't mean to snap at Alice, but my thirst was getting worse by the second.

"Alice will take you hunting. There are some deer out in the woods for you to sink your new fangs into," the big dark haired man said, mischievously.

Alice gave him a warning look, "Stop scaring her, Emmett." She then turned her amber eyes to me, "Come on, before your thirst worsens." She led me out into the woods and suddenly just.. disappeared. She ran at a speed I didn't know was possible for humans. I uncertainly tried catching up to her retreating figure, knowing I wouldn't be able to run that fast—when something like a speed boost propelled me forward.

I was about to ask Alice how I—how we ran that fast when a big furry figure sped past us. My throat felt even more hot now, as I charged toward the deer and tackled it to the forest floor. I didn't know why, and was somewhat repulsed by my sudden need to sink my teeth into the animal.

Alice appeared beside me and crouched to my level, "Go drink. I'll explain what happened later." Without any more hesitation, I sunk my teeth—no—fangs into the creature.

After I had drained the animal, I looked up and retched—almost throwing up as the deer's blood dripped from my mouth. Even so, my thirst felt fulfilled and my throat no longer hurt.

Alice led a shell-shocked me back to the house. As I walked through the doors, I spotted four new faces. There were six people surrounding the living room, all giving me welcoming expressions. One I figured was Carlisle, the one who supposedly "saved me."

They introduced themselves to me one by one: there was Carlisle and his wife, Esmé—who had dark brown hair and a motherly smile. The muscular man with short dark hair was Emmett, I remembered. Beside him was a pretty blonde haired woman, who introduced herself as Rosalie. Then there was Jasper, who was apparently Alice's "mate"—they called it. The last man had a curious look on his face and had brown hair and pale skin. "I'm Edward," he stated.

I suddenly felt self-conscious with so many people staring at me and my blood-stained lips. "I'm Selene. Selene Rossi," I introduced myself. I didn't even know which question to start with. "What-why did I feel so thirsty for," I winced as I finished my sentence—"blood?"

The others looked at me with some pity and understanding. I inwardly sighed, I was tired of people pitying me all the time. First at home and now these strangers.

It was Carlisle who spoke, explaining that I was shot and he had no choice but to "change me." I didn't know whether I was going insane as he said I had become a "vampire." I scoffed, "Vampires aren't real."

"Says the person who ran faster than a bullet to drink from a deer," Emmett chuckled, which earned him a nudge from Rosalie. I didn't know whether to laugh at the utter nonsense of what happened or to cry.

"Look, I know it might take a while for you to process—and accept what you are now, but we will always be here to help you along the transition," Carlisle gave me a comforting smile.

Suddenly, the woman named Alice gasped and dropped the glass she was holding. Everyone turned to her, as if waiting for something to happen. Alice stopped moving and stood like a statue. "What happened to her?" I asked, worried.

"She's having a vision. She has.. gifts. She can see the future," Edward explained. Alice suddenly gasped and seemed to return to reality.

"What did you see?" Jasper asked as he put an arm around her. She focused her attention on me as she said, "I saw Selene—and a man. I've never seen him before. They were running through the forest. You guys were.. happy."

Happy, I thought. I haven't felt that since Riley disappeared. I didn't even want to question her supposed "vision." I tried forcing a weak smile, "Look, thank you for-saving me, I suppose. I'm just really exhausted may I just rest for a while and clear my head?"

The family gave me an understanding smile and Alice showed me back to my room. I laid on my bed for minutes-hours- I couldn't really tell. For some reason, I couldn't fall sleep and escape this reality that was now mine. I thought of this new development of mine. My realistic side scoffed at the idea of the existence of vampires—especially that I was now one. But I knew on the inside that what Carlisle told me was true.

I kept laying on the bed, thinking of my older memories with Riley, then the drastic changes of the past few hours. Suddenly, I sat up, an idea forming in my head. They never did find Riley. It didn't make sense that he would've just disappeared out of nowhere. What if- could it be possible that he also became—what I had become? Because- I couldn't accept that he was gone. He had to be out there—somewhere. I didn't know whether that thought made me hopeful or terrified. Maybe both.