Newfound powers

[Selene POV]

The next thing I knew, I was back at the Cullen house. Its large glass windows and wooden design had grown familiar to me. I looked up from the arms of Emmett to stare at the cozy yellow light that emitted from the house. I guessed I had passed out again due to my incessant sobbing. I had to quit doing that. Although, I still felt light-headed and my cheeks were damp from my tears. I doubted I could've made my way from Seattle to Forks at my current condition.

"Wait-stop. Let me down please," I whispered to Emmett. He looked at me with sorrow before releasing me gently onto the ground. I swayed slightly, and had to grab onto his arm to keep me steady. I let out a silent growl, angered at my weakness. "Pull it together," I chided myself in my head.

I slowly took a step inside the house, my foot creaking against the mahogany wood. "Are you feeling better, Selene?" Alice asked, worriedly.

I didn't even bother lying. I slowly shook my head as I slumped onto the sofa, my eyes fixating on a nearby magazine on the glass table. On the cover was a couple—a blonde woman had her arms wrapped around a dark haired man as they stared at each other lovingly. It made me feel sick. I resisted the urge to scoff. They were probably just models who were paid to act in love, they didn't know anything about it.

I knew I was being awful. I just couldn't stand to look at other happy couples when my own reality seemed to be falling apart at the seams. When would life stop hurling obstacles at me? Didn't I deserve to be happy?

The Cullens seemed to realize that I wasn't going to be speaking anytime soon as they all gave each other knowing looks and after a quick "hope you feel alright soon," left.

I didn't know how long I sat there, unmoving—staring at that same glossy magazine with the fake couple. I wasn't even thinking of anything. It was as if my mind went completely and utterly blank. I couldn't feel anything. 

A slump next to me on the couch also went unnoticed. "Hey, Selene, it's been three hours. Do you want to... talk?" A female voice asked from beside me. I swiveled my head around to face the newcomer. Alice's face appeared into my vision but I couldn't bring myself to respond. I was tired of pretending I was okay. I hadn't been for a while now—I realized. Sure, there were moments when I felt like myself again but I would never be exactly how I was before.

"Look, Selene, I know it's difficult—what with seeing him again, but you have to talk to us. Opening up about it will help you feel better, I promise," Alice tried convincing me.

Her words were like the go-signal to unlock the dam of emotions I'd been feeling for months now. I didn't realize how much I needed to unpack as the words just flowed out of me.

"I don't even know how to feel, Alice. I can't decide between feeling betrayed, angry, disgusted, or despair. Ever since Riley's disappearance I haven't felt-whole again. He'd been beside my side for years, Alice. Years. We went through everything together. We went through grade-school, high-school, heartbreak, laughter. He was the one person I could always count on to cheer me up. He was the one person who never left my side. He promised me he'd always stay by my side. He promised me!" I broke down into a fit of sobs and started shaking uncontrollably as Alice put a comforting arm around my shoulder.

"I just want him back," I cried as Alice hugged me tight. "I just want him to come back, I want him to come back to me," I sniffled, my words getting softer and softer as I sank into Alice's embrace.

[The following morning]

I was up on my feet again the next morning, after releasing my true feelings onto Alice last night. I still felt upset about the recent events involving Riley, but I certainly felt less hollow. I wasn't a sobbing mess anymore either, thanks to the Cullens.

I had explained all the details I could remember about my visit to Seattle to the Cullens, all while they listened intently. Carlisle was particularly curious about Alice's vision—of me compelling that man to leave. At least, that was the term Alice used to describe what I had done.

Carlisle and Esmé had been consulting ancient books that they owned to look for answers as to what had caused this ability of mine—but to no avail. After an hour of discussion, we settled on the "power of compulsion." Edward explained how some vampires had certain gifts—like how Alice could foresee the future, or how Edward could read people's minds.

At first, I hurriedly dismissed the preposterous idea. I was just a regular human after all, I wasn't anything special. But they were relentless. Jasper insisted on me testing my "abilities" out.

And so the Cullens all surrounded me in the vast living room, waiting for me to test their suspicions out. "I volunteer for Selene to test her powers out on me," Emmett offered, with a playful wink in my direction.

I sighed, reluctantly taking a step forward. "Try focusing on compelling Emmett to carry out your will," Carlisle advised. I nodded, focusing my energy into making the dark-haired vampire do what I envisioned. I stared deep into his bright amber eyes and channeled my will into him. I focused on nothing but that as I felt everything around me go still. Suddenly, a voice—not like my usual one came out of my throat. It was laced with a deep echo, almost as if it fought for dominance. "Sit," I said as my eyes glowed—the same way it had back in the alleys. The same way the mugger's had, Emmett's eyes glowed magenta as he seemed to be put under a trance. He sat down on the nearby couch, slowly and obediently.

I blinked, snapping us both out of the spell. I was met with wide eyes and astonished faces as Emmett came to his senses and stood back up. "Woah, it actually worked. You do have a special gift, Selene!" Alice gasped as she looked from me to Emmett.

"No way," I breathed, not quite believing it myself. This all seemed so surreal.

"Do you know what this means? You have just become our most powerful player in the field. Your gifts will give us the upper hand in the upcoming battle against Victoria," Carlisle breathed, looking like a proud father.

I nodded, still in shock when a thought made its way through my head. If Riley was in fact working with Victoria, and I was expected to use my newfound gifts on her—would that mean I'd have to use them on Riley too? And just how far would I have to go with them?