Healing

Weeks had passed since my transformation into a vampire. I had grown accustomed to living with the Cullens, and started seeing them as family. They were overjoyed that I had started opening up, and wasn't as tightly wound as when they first saved me.

Of course there were still days where I would be closed off, reliving how I was after Riley's disappearance. I wouldn't talk to anyone for hours on days like those. My first instinct would be to just keep running and running in the forest, as if to escape my impending thoughts. Although, there were also days where I would be joyful and cheerful. I would chat and engage in playful banter with Emmett and Jasper, or hang out with Rosalie and Alice.

I got to learn more about the Cullens—like how Jasper was a part of the Confederate Army when he was turned into a vampire. He had had a hard time adjusting to settling for animal blood when Carlisle had taken him in. I noticed how Emmett was strong, protective, and became somewhat like a playful brotherly figure for me. We would spend hours out in the forest with him training me how to hold my ground. Rosalie and Alice were like my sisters—we could talk for hours about how our lives were when we were still human. Carlisle and Esmé were like the family's parents. They kept us well-grounded and safe.

I had learned that Edward could read minds, but I found it quite challenging to connect with him as he wasn't around for most of the time. Alice explained that it was probably because he was with Bella Swan—Edward's human mate.

I was jolted from my thoughts from a knock on the door. "Selene, could you come to the living room? We need to discuss something," Alice's head popped through the door. I told her I'd be out in a moment, wondering what this could possibly be about.

The Cullens were gathered in the living room, all of them wearing grave expressions. "Hello Selene, please take a seat. We need to talk about something," Esmé smiled, patting the seat next to her. I started to get nervous as I reluctantly took a seat on the plush cushion of the couch.

"Is there anything wrong?" I asked. Jasper nodded solemnly, "There's a woman named Victoria heading here. She's out to avenge her mate, James."

"Who's James? And Victoria?" I asked, feeling confused. Jasper explained, "A year ago, there were three wild vampires who came to visit Forks. Two of them were Victoria and James. They were both mated to each other, and equally as dangerous. James wanted to kill Bella, so we had no choice but to kill him—to save her. But, his mate Victoria escaped. She wants to kill Bella as revenge for what we did to James."

"Wait so, now she's coming here for Bella?" I asked, feeling worried for Edward's human mate. Alice nodded, "Yes, I saw her in my vision. She's been coming back to Forks for Bella. Edward will be taking Bella to visit her mom, to keep her safe. We need to track Victoria down for the time being."

"What am I going to do?" I asked, not knowing whether I was ready to fight another vampire.

"It's up to you, we could use your strengths as a newborn but we would never force you to fight," Carlisle said gently.

"I'll fight with you. I owe it to you after you guys saved my life. Plus, Emmett has been training me these past few weeks. I guess I need to test what I've learned out on someone," I responded, grinning.

The Cullens smiled fondly, clearly proud at my determination. "When will Victoria arrive?" I asked, ready to be of use.

Alice responded, "Tomorrow, we'll be ready for her. In the meantime, we should hunt and get our strength up."

Everyone agreed, and so we set out into the forest to hunt. I quickly spotted a large deer grazing on a grass patch. I crouched down, getting ready to spring when I heard another growl nearby. I locked eyes with a cougar who was also targeting the deer. I let out a predatory growl of my own and tackled the large feline, sinking my fangs into its fur. I drained the cougar and deer of its blood, feeling content as I returned home.

The following day was the moment we've been preparing for. Alice had spotted Victoria heading towards Forks, and so we would be there ready for her. I quickly showered and dressed in a strappy cross black halter top with dark flare jeans. I secured my long hair in a tight bun with a black ribbon—so to keep it out of my face.

When we were all ready, we gathered in the woods—waiting for Alice to give us the go signal. "Get ready, she's coming," Alice said as we all tensely awaited the vampire. Suddenly, a loud rustle sounded next to us as Alice shouted, "To your left!"

We all ran towards Victoria's direction and I spotted a glimpse of the other girl. She has ginger hair that was naturally curly. Her face was set in a cruel sneer as she spotted us giving chase. Jasper closed in on her and tried grabbing her—but she was too quick and skillfully avoided him—sending him crashing into a nearby tree.

I was nearing her now, close enough to tackle her. I reached an arm out to grab her shoulder when she leaped on the grounds opposite the river. I was about to jump over the water when Carlisle stopped me. "She's in their territory," he cautioned. Suddenly, large wolves gave chase to the redhead as she snarled and continued running.

"We can't let her get away!" Emmett growled as he continued running in their territory as the wolves tried catching Victoria on the other side of the riverbank.

"We won't!" Esmé yelled as the Cullens grew frustrated. Just as a wolf was about to snap at Victoria's jacket, she flew through the air and landed neatly on our territory. Emmett charged at her and almost caught her when she dodged him, causing him to slip. She changed course and hopped onto the wolves' territory once more—causing Emmett to growl loudly and edge his way to the riverbank. "Emmett don't cross," Esmé tried warning him—but Emmett had already crossed the border—causing a large wolf to knock him right back into the river. I caught a glance at Victoria—giving us a sneer as she got away.

We trudged home later that day, all feeling disappointed at Victoria's escape. "I almost had her if only that damned mutt didn't step in!" Emmett grumbled. I had to agree. I couldn't understand why the wolves and us couldn't just work together. We could've caught that woman if not for our feud.

[Riley POV]

I snarled as I watched dozens of rowdy newborn vampires causing a disturbance. I shook my head in disgust as I left to head to Forks. Victoria had instructed me to get something of Bella's to share her scent with the newborn army.

I arrived quickly and looked around her dark room. No one seemed to be home aside from her father—who was asleep on the couch. I snarled as I caught a whiff of the blood coursing through his veins. But no, I couldn't cause a disturbance. I had to get in and out before Bella and her vampire mate, Edward got back.

I opened the door to Bella's bedroom, tracing my fingers over the headboard of her bed, and over the Dreamcatcher hanging delicately over it. I scoffed almost imperceptibly, as I spotted the pictures of her and Edward. There was one of them hugging and one of them smiling at each other sweetly. It made me remember.. her. Selene. The unforgettable figure during my mortal life. No, I couldn't stand to think of her. I may have loved her once, but she never returned my feelings. I had Victoria now. I couldn't afford to dwell on my past mortal life. She was probably happy now. She must've forgotten all about me. I shook my head, clearing my thoughts as I settled on grabbing a red blouse of Bella's. This would do. I smiled—Victoria would be very pleased.